The Thecus N8200XXX
The N8200XXX is a 2U sized rack mount NAS server. The front door doesn't lock, but it does keep people from accidentally turning the system off while it's in operation. On each side are two handles that makes sliding the NAS in and out of a rack space much easier.
With the door open we get to see the eight drive sleds that lock for security.
There are two groups of buttons on the N8200XXX. The first set is for power and reset. They are accompanied by LEDs that show power on status and disk activity. Two USB 2.0 ports are also on the front of the NAS, but when the door is closed they are covered up.
The second set of buttons allows you to configure your N8200XXX without a PC. You can also scroll through status updates with this button set and the information is displayed on the built in LCD display.
The build quality is very good. Here we see the rack ears that double as handles. These are attached with four screws instead of just two.
The side of the case is designed to let heat escape before it builds up inside the system.
The back of the case has some ventilation as well.
Thecus uses a custom motherboard inside the N8200XXX. On the back right side is where you'll find the dual gigabit LAN ports, quad USB 2.0 ports and an eSATA port for connecting an additional drive. A serial port is also included for connecting older battery backup units that don't use USB. Even though the N8200XXX has two slots for PCIe adapter cards, only the top one is usable.
There are two power supplies in the N8200XXX, each being 400 watts. The system is able to detect a PSU failure and run on just one if that happens. These are hot swappable units so your system never has to go down.
Thecus' custom motherboard is quite trick, a lot of design hours went into making it for sure. You can take the cover off to add a PCIe 4 lane NIC if needed for your configuration. On the top is the SODIMM (right in the middle, half covered in wires), but other than those two, not much should or could be messed with inside the NAS. The fans can also be easily swapped out if needed.
The final shot is of the riser card used to install an additional NIC. It should be noted that while many of Thecus' new enterprise NAS products can get 10GbE upgrades, the N8200XXX can't due to its 4 lane PCIe limit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Software Features]
- Page 4 [The Packaging]
- Page 5 [The Thecus N8200XXX]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Content]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- 2 New Half-Life 2 Developers videos
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit