First things first - what I'm not a huge fan of here, that being the overclock label. While of course the card is overclocked with a 20MHz boost in core, the lack of memory overclock to go alongside with it means that overall there's a very minimal boost in performance when compared to a card that runs at its stock counterpart.
The second is just an aesthetic thing; the card itself lacks any color and while we know for the most part once a card goes in the system people won't even be worried about how it looks, it's always nice to pull a card out of the box for the first time and just go "Whoa, this is a good looking card."
The thing is, for dislikes this is where it stops and really, neither are a real issue which would likely skew your decision in if you should buy it or not. If you go through the graphs here today, you already get a great idea of what's going on.
On the performance side of things, the HD 6870 Dirt 3 Edition OC offers a small bump in FPS here and there; nothing too major at all and that's to be expected with the fact we're only dealing with a 20MHz core clock increase.
The card really shines, though, when you start to focus on what the cooler does. While a little plain looking as we mentioned, the cooler Sapphire have used here today does an absolutely fantastic job.
To turn around and see the noise levels we got and realize that hasn't come at the cost of extra heat on the core is amazing and a real testament to the quality of the cooler here. With some good sized fans the card is able to spin at relatively low speeds while still pushing a good amount of air and with the heatsink design and copper heat pipes, we can see we're able to get an extremely cool running card.
These days you've got so many options when it comes to the HD 6800 series because they've been around for so long now, but it's great to see companies like Sapphire are still able to bring something that is able to stand out in a pack that has had so many variants already seen.
While not available yet, if previous trends are anything to go by, we should be looking at a good price. If you're looking for something that's going to perform like a HD 6870, yet be really quiet and run nice and cool, the Sapphire HD 6870 Dirt 3 Edition OC we've got here is a really nice pick up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and The Package]
- Page 2 [The Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Dirt 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Total War: Shogun 2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 90s hit 'Blood' is being remastered by Nightdive Studios
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 'Absolute Zero' update is here
- GeForce GTX 1070 with GDDR5X could be around the corner
- Beyond Good and Evil 2 is Ubisoft's biggest game yet
- Doom creator adds new levels in free Sigil expansion
- other than the ones that have already been
- Cannot remove Microsoft Office from Windows10
- 1stPlayer Bullet Hunter MK6 Gaming Keyboard Review
- SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless Review
- Z390 ultra bios needs serious work
- Funcom announces new game: Conan Unconquered
- Darksiders III Accolades Trailer revealed
- Insurgency: Sandstorm's Open Beta begins today on Steam - experience intense, realistic combat!
- DiRT 4 Coming to macOS and Linux in 2019 DiRT 4 Coming to macOS and Linux in 2019
- Genesis Alpha One Prepares For Mission Launch on January 29th, 2019