With the motherboard looked at, it's time to get into the testing side of things. We won't really go into much detail as all the information above pretty much covers our testbed and once we get into our tests from the next page you'll see the lineup of boards we'll be using for comparison.
We'll now take this opportunity to cover the overclocking side of things to find out just what kind of performance we could get out of the MSI Z68A-GD80-G3 here today when we took the time to start messing around with the BIOS settings.
Like other MSI motherboards, there's two ways to overclock. The first is you can go down the easy path of using OC Genie II. This can be activated by pressing the OC Genie II button on your motherboard or selecting OC Genie II in the BIOS.
By going down this path you can, as you see above, get a overclock to 4.19GHz on a i7 2600k. This is done by pushing the multiplier to 42x. Because the BCLK sits just under 100, you see that it falls just shy of 4.2GHz. It's a good way of overclocking, though, if you don't want to mess around with the BIOS.
The other way is of course going into the BIOS and fiddling around with the settings yourself. Going down that path, we ended with our multiplier running at 50x and our BCLK coming in at 101.
As you can see above, that resulted in an overclock of 5052MHz or 5.05GHz as represented in our graphs here today.
Let's get started!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows 10 Pro: $12.41, Office 2016 Pro: $28.10
- Diablo III Switch coming this Fall, hits smooth 60FPS
- Halo Infinite is Halo 6, a direct sequel to Halo 5
- New Battlefield V gameplay shows destructive WW2 chaos
- PlayStation VR sales break 3 million
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Buy (2 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1,398
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada