Specifications, Pricing and Availability
We covered the controller and the flash at the beginning of this article, so now we can get the specifications taken care of. The Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is what OWC is marketing to their 'prosumer' clients. Toshiba Toggle flash is much like ONFi 2.0, they both read and write on the up and down tick of the synchronizing clock wave. Because of this, the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is able to work with incompressible data (data that is already compressed like music, movies and some video files) much better than asynchronous ONFi 1.0 flash equipped drives. In our extensive testing we found that the IMFT synchronous ONFi 2.x and Toshiba Toggle flash also perform much better when the drive has data present. The performance increase is quite significant across the board since SandForce controllers compress all data before it reaches the flash.
The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is rich in add-on features, but not the traditional goodies we see from other manufacturers. OWC is proud of their add-on package that includes an industry leading 5 year warranty, 21 day no hassle money back guarantee and 24/7 tech support. To my knowledge, Kingston is the only SSD manufacturer that can match one of these and that is the 24/7 customer service. OWC rests at the top with all others looking up at them with the impressive warranty and the money back, as in full refund guarantee.
Then there is what you don't get, but may soon be offered. The Mercury Extreme Pro 6G currently does not ship with a desktop adapter bracket. Personally, I feel these are great low cost accessories since most SATA III SSDs will be used in a desktop. OWC is considering our advice; we'll let you know how that pans out...keep your fingers crossed!
Then there is the price. OWC is smaller than most SSD manufacturers and their drives cost a little bit more. This is an area in which the company is also looking at, but we should point out that the new revision of the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is no longer comparable to the Vertex 3, Force GT or any number of the asynchronous flash drives on the market. 32nm Toshiba Toggle flash costs more than 25nm IMFT flash and is currently only used on a small number of drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Outlast games coming to the Nintendo Switch in Q1 2018
- Anheuser-Busch places order for 40 Tesla Semi trucks
- Celebrities will answer your Google search questions
- Justin Roiland introduces Squanch Games and teases new title
- Fortnite: 30 million players, 1.3 million concurrent gamers
- Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 - Which M.2 socket should I use
- MSI Z170A PC Mate Unlock NVRAM
- LaCie 2Big Dock Thunderbolt 3 20TB External HDD Review
- Z270X Gaming K7....SLOW Boot?
- ATEN Phantom S UC3410 Gamepad to Keyboard Emulator Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series