Specifications, Pricing and Availability
We covered the controller and the flash at the beginning of this article, so now we can get the specifications taken care of. The Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is what OWC is marketing to their 'prosumer' clients. Toshiba Toggle flash is much like ONFi 2.0, they both read and write on the up and down tick of the synchronizing clock wave. Because of this, the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is able to work with incompressible data (data that is already compressed like music, movies and some video files) much better than asynchronous ONFi 1.0 flash equipped drives. In our extensive testing we found that the IMFT synchronous ONFi 2.x and Toshiba Toggle flash also perform much better when the drive has data present. The performance increase is quite significant across the board since SandForce controllers compress all data before it reaches the flash.
The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is rich in add-on features, but not the traditional goodies we see from other manufacturers. OWC is proud of their add-on package that includes an industry leading 5 year warranty, 21 day no hassle money back guarantee and 24/7 tech support. To my knowledge, Kingston is the only SSD manufacturer that can match one of these and that is the 24/7 customer service. OWC rests at the top with all others looking up at them with the impressive warranty and the money back, as in full refund guarantee.
Then there is what you don't get, but may soon be offered. The Mercury Extreme Pro 6G currently does not ship with a desktop adapter bracket. Personally, I feel these are great low cost accessories since most SATA III SSDs will be used in a desktop. OWC is considering our advice; we'll let you know how that pans out...keep your fingers crossed!
Then there is the price. OWC is smaller than most SSD manufacturers and their drives cost a little bit more. This is an area in which the company is also looking at, but we should point out that the new revision of the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is no longer comparable to the Vertex 3, Force GT or any number of the asynchronous flash drives on the market. 32nm Toshiba Toggle flash costs more than 25nm IMFT flash and is currently only used on a small number of drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Threadripper 2990X 32-core monster detailed in leak
- Mario Tennis Aces will feature Diddy Kong & more as DLC's
- WWE 2K19 Special Editions revealed and release date unveil
- Disney and Nintendo partner for a Nintendo Switch TV show
- Gift Unravel Two on Xbox One and get 1 month of EA Access
- LaCie DJI Co-Pilot 2TB Review
- Dumb question regarding moderator approval
- ASUS ProArt PA27AC Monitor: The Best Workstation Monitor?!
- Asus X401A Laptop will not boot despite several replaced components
- FS Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ 256GB SM-G965U New $751CAD
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit