Specifications, Pricing and Availability
We covered the controller and the flash at the beginning of this article, so now we can get the specifications taken care of. The Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is what OWC is marketing to their 'prosumer' clients. Toshiba Toggle flash is much like ONFi 2.0, they both read and write on the up and down tick of the synchronizing clock wave. Because of this, the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is able to work with incompressible data (data that is already compressed like music, movies and some video files) much better than asynchronous ONFi 1.0 flash equipped drives. In our extensive testing we found that the IMFT synchronous ONFi 2.x and Toshiba Toggle flash also perform much better when the drive has data present. The performance increase is quite significant across the board since SandForce controllers compress all data before it reaches the flash.
The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is rich in add-on features, but not the traditional goodies we see from other manufacturers. OWC is proud of their add-on package that includes an industry leading 5 year warranty, 21 day no hassle money back guarantee and 24/7 tech support. To my knowledge, Kingston is the only SSD manufacturer that can match one of these and that is the 24/7 customer service. OWC rests at the top with all others looking up at them with the impressive warranty and the money back, as in full refund guarantee.
Then there is what you don't get, but may soon be offered. The Mercury Extreme Pro 6G currently does not ship with a desktop adapter bracket. Personally, I feel these are great low cost accessories since most SATA III SSDs will be used in a desktop. OWC is considering our advice; we'll let you know how that pans out...keep your fingers crossed!
Then there is the price. OWC is smaller than most SSD manufacturers and their drives cost a little bit more. This is an area in which the company is also looking at, but we should point out that the new revision of the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is no longer comparable to the Vertex 3, Force GT or any number of the asynchronous flash drives on the market. 32nm Toshiba Toggle flash costs more than 25nm IMFT flash and is currently only used on a small number of drives.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Amnesia dev Chinese Room has 'gone dark'
- Run, don't walk for our 'Walking Dead' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Microsoft, Facebook complete 160Tbps undersea cable
- Apple won't let you download 4K, only stream on Apple TV
- Sony isn't 'entirely comfortable' being VR market leader
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 4K Blu-ray Review
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM