Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are lower than that of the Sparkle Gold Class 1250W, we can only test it to 1000W.
Sparkle's Gold Class 1250W power supply does an excellent job in the voltage regulation department with all three rails staying within 2% of specification. The 3.3V rail showed the largest percentage of change at 2.3%, starting at 3.35V and dropping to 3.28V. The 12V rail showed the least percentage of change at 1.5%, starting at 12.17V and dropping to 11.99V.
The 1250W unit from Sparkle showed absolutely spectacular DC Output quality that was better than we could have imagined. Test 1 started off with a barely discernable 9mV peak to peak ripple on the oscilloscope. This ripple less than doubled when we more than doubled the loads through Test 3. At this point we saw a 16mV ripple and were quite impressed. Moving all the way to our test at 1000W, the noise on the 12V rail had only climbed to 28mV. This is less noise than what our last Xigmatek unit STARTED at.
The efficiency that we saw out of the unit was probably the weakest point of the unit. In order to achieve the 80Plus Gold certification, a power supply must show 87%/89%/87% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. The unit did rather well up until the last test and was nearing the lower limit as we approached 100% load.
While we don't have the equipment to test the Sparkle Gold Class 1250W power supply to its limits, there are several conclusions that it is safe to say about the unit. Given the results that are shown above, there is no reason that the power supply would have failed either the voltage regulation or DC output quality tests. The unit was however nearing the lower limits in order to pass the efficiency test, but it is uncertain as to whether or not it would have failed.
The Sparkle Gold Class 1250W power supply is a unit that very few enthusiasts will ever even have a true need for. It is capable of delivering a ton of power and is something that you will probably find on more wish lists for dream computers than you will actually see in use. For those that do find a need for such a power supply, they will most likely find that the Sparkle Gold Class 1250W power supply will fit the bill provided that they don't run into the issues with the lack of cable/connector availability that we discussed earlier in the review.
Performance of the power supply was spot on for the most part. You really can't ask for more out of the voltage regulation and the DC output quality was off the charts, especially for a unit with such high output. The efficiency could have been better and you can certainly tell that the unit's design for high efficiency is being stretched to the limit as it neared full load.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced