At $99.99US the MSI HD 6670 1GB is a really good little card for the price. Out of the box the performance of the HD 6670 is pretty strong considering the price point it comes in at. What is surprising is the overclocking capability of the card; the last thing I expected was to get a core clock increase of 150MHz. In the end you can see it really helps give us a strong boost in performance.
The best thing about the extra performance on offer, though, isn't that we get a couple of FPS here and there, it's that those extra FPS move our averages from what we would normally call unplayable to playable thanks to the FPS jumping to 60 FPS and over.
It's when we see that we're able to move from below 60 FPS to over 60 FPS that the overclock is most efficient. Sure, getting a 20 FPS increase is great, but moving from a 90 FPS average to 110 FPS average is going to bring with it very little when we're talking about overall game smoothness.
On the other hand, moving from 55 FPS to 65 FPS is an increase that we'd say will make your overall gaming experience better as we move to that smoother level. It's then when we really appreciate the overclock.
All in all, MSI have put together a really nice little card here that hits us at the perfect price point. While the cooler is a little louder at idle than we'd expect, once in a case you probably won't find it too much of an issue. Especially since that at load it's not much louder. There's also the option to manually adjust it if you wanted.
If you're looking for a budget card and want to do a bit of overclocking, it's a great option. If you're also looking for something that you can CrossFire with your new Fusion based system, it's a great option, especially if you take the time to crank up the clock speeds a little bit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Temperature Test]
- Page 15 [Sound Test]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayStation CEO says Sony has an eye on multiplayer/co-op
- Netflix pull future 'The Punisher' & 'Jessica Jones' seasons
- Nintendo to 'revive' a 'very officially cancelled' game
- PlayStation VR changes will be 'dramatic' over next 10 years
- Apple rumored to be working on 31.6-inch 6K display
- Best reminder app
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- Explore a World of Ancient Chinese Mythology!
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America's Post EVO Japan Fighting Game News Round-up
- Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Coming To Steam This Summer
- Rising Lords announces alpha launch via new trailer
- Zombie-Veggie Shooter, The Walking Vegetables Radical! Edition Coming Soon to PS4!