Update: OWC has confirmed with us that by the end of August the OWC Electra and Mercury Extreme Pro 6G will ship with a 2.5" to 3.5" Desktop Adapter Plate. Also, a price reduction is in the works. Those combined with industry leading warranty and 24/7 telephone support make the OWC SSDs a better value, one of the best in the industry in fact.
For what it's worth, the OWC Electra 6G is the fastest asynchronous flash / SandForce SF-2281 controlled drive we've tested. With a price of just 207.99 USD for the 120GB model, the price is right at that capacity size as well, but things don't look as pretty for the 240GB drive we looked at today. The 240GB Electra 6G us currently listed at 459.99 USD, just $10 cheaper than the OCZ Vertex III 240GB with synchronous flash at Newegg after a mail in rebate at the time of writing. The Vertex III also comes with a desktop adapter bracket, that low cost add-on that makes a big difference when installing a 2.5" drive in your desktop designed for 3.5" drives. On the surface a low cost bracket doesn't sound like a game changer, but when you are the one building a system, things change. With so few notebooks shipping with SATA III, many of these drives are desktop bound until 2012 when SATA III enabled notebooks become more common.
So that leaves the OWC Electra in a sort of limbo land where it is fast, but not fast enough to justify the cost when compared to some of the other products on the market. In 2010 OWC entered the price war with the other Team SandForce manufacturers, but weren't as aggressive with the rate of price decline. We saw large price drops at set intervals, but not the micro price drops every couple of weeks. That means timing, when you are shopping for a new SSD comes into play more with the OWC products than some of the other Team SandForce products.
In conclusion, the OWC Electra is a fast drive when the price is set at a low level, but not as fast as the superior synchronous flash drives. It doesn't really matter if you are an enthusiast or mainstream user, price vs. performance and bang for your buck is the same for both user types and your best bet is to find a low cost synchronous flash / SF-2281 combination drive that will retain more performance as the drive fills with data. If you only have a small amount to budget for an SSD, then things change a bit because you do still get the ultra-low access times, but not the full benefits of a true next gen, totally amazing SandForce drive.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The OWC Electra 240GB]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Cliffy B is done making games
- Devil May Cry TV show coming to Netflix
- Sony skips E3 2019 for PlayStation-centric showcase
- Take home The Crown in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Digital-only Xbox One coming in 2019
- Z77-D3H MB and bizzare boot issue
- HyperX Gaming microSD 128GB Review
- FS:[20Pieces] Apple iPhone XR.Xs.Xs Max 64/256/512GB.$8,980
- Vital Progenix
- ASUS PRIME B450M-A/CSM AM4 with AMD RYZEN 5 2600 CPU will only boot Windows after reset
- Kolumno is now available on PC, mobile and Smart TVs
- Wolfalone Studio announces Darwin's Test!
- World's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale NowWorld's Top PUBG MOBILE Players Head to Dubai For PUBG MOBILE 'STAR CHALLENGE' Global Finals, Tickets On Sale Now
- Nexon Secures Global Publishing Rights For Pokelabo, Square Enix-Developed SinoAlice
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions