Let me step back for a minute and share a struggle that I'm having. I wasn't expecting Team SandForce partners to ship three divisions of drives this year. So far I've praised and ridiculed the new async drives and even now I really can't define where I stand on them. On one hand I see where the manufacturers are coming from - they are cheap, give entry level users the ability to get into the SSD game and at the same time, allow manufacturers to charge more for their proper next gen performance drives. On the other hand, most end users see the same 500+MB/s rating and then buy a drive based on the list price thinking that lower is obviously better for the wallet.
Luckily the Corsair Force GT is a synchronous flash product, so I don't have to work out my issues this minute. If I'm looking at Newegg or a local shop and seeing a Force 3 and Force GT sitting on the shelf, I'm reaching for the Force GT even though it costs 80 Dollars more at Newegg right now. The performance difference when the drives are at 50% full are worth 80 Dollars more when dealing with 120GB drives. I'd say it's even worth 100 USD more..120..well, I might have a change of heart at that point, but 80 Dollars makes it an easy choice.
In this review we saw the latest firmware revision from SandForce and it allowed the Corsair Force GT to outperform every other drive in our charts. The Force GT is wicked fast and comes very close to reaching the performance limitations of SATA III (585MB/s) today. In ATTO we hit 560MB/s which is significant since that means this drive will still look good when next year's SSDs ship. There isn't really a lot of room to grow until SATA IV which hasn't even been announced, or for that matter publicly talked about.
The only thing left to talk about is the price and this is also where we find the only obstacle for most end users. At 289 USD today the Corsair Force GT costs 80 Dollars more than the Force 3 and a little more than the Vertex 3. Pricing is always a dynamic issue, though, and while the Force GT will never cost less than the Force 3, it will level off at the same level as the Vertex 3 over time. The Force GT does offer some things that the Vertex 3 doesn't. The Force GT is red which will matter to some users looking to break out of the cookie cutter SSD market and it also comes with Corsair's reputation for excellent customer service. The Force GT also tested a bit faster than the Vertex 3 in our tests, so those looking for the fastest drive on the market will enjoy that satisfaction.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Corsair Force GT 120GB]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media