Looking at the card, we've got a pretty mean looking setup going on. We've got a dual fan setup and looking below that you can see a total of five copper heat pipes coming out the bottom of the card.
It's a pretty good looking cooler and it will be interesting to see how it performs. We've tested a lot of HD 6950s and seen a wide range of coolers from companies. What exactly the dual fan option Sapphire has opted for can do will indeed be found out today.
Taking a quick look around the card, we've got two 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors at the back of the card. Staying across the top but moving to the front, you can see we've got a single CrossFire connector. The inclusion of just a single Crossfire connector is a little unusual as we've always seen two present on the HD 6950. With a single connector you still of course get support for two cards in CrossFire, which is of course the biggest setup outside of one card.
On the connectivity side of things, we've got a DisplayPort connector, HDMI and two DVI; one's Single-Link while the other is Dual-Link. This is a fairly standard setup when it comes to connectivity.
Before we move on to the specifications, I just want to quickly bring up a feature that Sapphire have implemented. Like the original batch of HD 6950s, the Sapphire Dirt 3 Edition carries with it a Dual BIOS setup. This isn't anything new, but we've seen recently that companies have chosen to remove the option on recent versions of the card.
The problem is it's really hard to find the switch and if you read the Sapphire website it almost sounds like you switch the BIOS via their own OC software, TRIXX. You can see in the above picture where the switch is; the problem is we couldn't even get our finger in to change it. Instead you'd have to opt for something like a pen.
It's a funky little addition and nice to see that Sapphire have chosen to implement it on the latest HD 6950; it just seems they don't really want anyone to use it with the placement and to be honest, most people probably won't use it. None the less, it's there.
With no OC labeling on the card, it comes as no surprise that out of the box we're just dealing with the reference clock speeds. That means our core comes in at 840MHz while our 2GB of GDDR5 comes in at 5000MHz QDR.
We thought we'd give it a little bump in clock speeds. Using just the inbuilt Overdrive function seen in the Catalyst driver suite, we pushed the core up to 840MHz and the memory to 5300MHz QDR. This is the maximum OC offered in Overdrive, so it's pretty cool that you can just throw the sliders right to the end and be on your way.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card & Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole trailer for Switch
- Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter teases trailer, will drop today
- Dark Souls Remastered: new trailer and discount announcement
- Far Cry 5 tops game sales for March 2018
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus comes to Switch, June 29
- EVGA DG-77 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit