While we still find ourselves waiting for the Bulldozer CPU from AMD, we can start to have some fun with part of the platform that will make up the Bulldozer platform a little later in the year. The 990FX chipset doesn't offer heaps over the 890FX chipset, but does offer a couple of extra features and tweaks. Probably a bit like the Z68 chipset from Intel does over the P67 one.
Getting a bit more specific on the board we have here today, the 990FXA-UD7 from GIGABYTE is a great board. Performance is strong, we've got a bunch of stuff in the bundle and the board itself just looks fantastic. GIGABYTE knows how to create a good looking board and considering how shallow most of us are these days, it's indeed very appreciated.
The decision to go down the mass x16 path when it comes to the PCI-E slots is also a good one since the slots can of course handle cards that are smaller and run off PCI-E x4 or x1 connectivity. The layout gives us the option to install up to four video cards, though, and while that ability may feel a little wasted at the moment on the current AMD architecture, it's going to be appreciated later down the track when we see new CPUs from AMD.
All in all, GIGABYTE have put together a really good board here and if you're a GIGABYTE fan you're going to appreciate the styling that we're used to seeing on their Intel based boards. Not only does the UD7 perform well with good out of the box performance and also a strong overclock, it really looks the part too. There's not a whole lot more we could ask for from a motherboard.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ONRUSH gameplay trailer reveals new game modes
- YouTube star John 'TotalBiscuit' Bain has died age 33
- God of War reaches a massive 5 million units sold
- The Wolf Among Us Season Two hit with 2019 delay
- Nintendo's '2nd Unit Set' for the Switch is dockless, $230
- the best value, budget upgrade for me
- best value budget upgrade path
- Buy 3 Pieces Samsung Galaxy S9 SM-G960UZKAXAA 128GB $1.422
- X58a-ud5 rev 1.0 Bios with VT-d support
- HyperX FURY DDR4-3466 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit