The Lightning series is made for overclocking and that's the reason why we chose to test the card only overclocked in all our benchmarks here today. It helps us do two things; find an overclock that you could actually use in day to day gaming as we need to find something that's stable across more than just 3DMark 11. It also lets us show you exactly why you buy this card.
Honestly, if you bought the HD 6970 Lightning and just ran it with its out of the box settings you'd be disappointed. For starters, MSI don't overclock the memory and while the core clock is nice, it's not as strong as you're able to get it to. This card has overclockers in mind and the fact that overclocking is so easy these days means that anyone who really wants to have a play will have a good time with this card.
Of course, all overclocks are different and we've seen some that are able to run at closer to the 1050MHz mark, but it has to be noted, unlike some other people who show these higher speeds we don't just test it in 3DMark 11. We managed to achieve a core clock of 1037MHz and complete 3DMark 11 no problems, but we saw the card crash under Heaven and Lost Planet 2. We pulled the core back another 20MHz and we had everything running perfectly.
With this kind of card you'd probably find yourself sitting at something like 1000MHz on the core and 6100MHz QDR on the memory for everyday gaming. This would make it stronger than any other HD 6970 while making sure that everything was going to run perfect.
The Lightning series continues to be at the pinnacle of performance for people who want the most out of their graphics card. If you don't mind spending closer to $370 US to not only get more performance, but also an awesome cooler, then we're sure you won't be disappointed.
Not only is this just another great Lightning series card, but this is the best HD 6970 we've tested to date. MSI do a fantastic job of laying down the gauntlet and that hasn't changed here.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package Pictures]
- Page 2 [Card Pictures & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bandai Namco release 1080p New Gundam Breaker screenshots
- Monster Hunter World: console update released, patch notes
- Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice devs shocked at PC game sales
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze overview trailer reveal
- Infinity War Iron Spider Suit now comes with game pre-order
- AsRock Z97 not picking up SATA drive
- GA-X79-UD3 NVMe
- MyDigitalDiscount 128GB/256GB/512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- EVGA DG-77 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit