Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the Golden King 550W, we can only test it to the maximum.
While there isn't too many results to look at as there are only three different tests in our test methodology, there is still plenty of data to tell how the Golden King performs. Voltages are quite stable, with very little droop throughout testing. All voltages are well within specifications. Both 12V and 5V readings are within 3% of tolerance while the 3.3V readings prove to be within 2%.
Ripple on the 12V rail is great as well. Starting out, we see only 21mV which increases to a maximum of 32mV under full load. While this isn't something super spectacular, it is still an excellent result and also well within specifications.
Moving on to what most of us are probably interested in with the Golden King 550W, we see some great efficiency numbers from the Golden King 550W power supply. Remember that in order to get Platinum certification, the power supply must achieve 90%, 92%, and 89% efficiency at 20%, 50%, and 100% loads respectively. The Golden King 550W power supply hits the mark here, staying above 91% efficiency the entire time. It's good to see that the unit isn't barely squeezing into the Platinum level, but instead it has some room to spare.
Well, there we have it folks, our first Platinum power supply at TweakTown. Super Flower has a winner with the Golden King 550W power supply in all aspects. The solid voltages combined with the relatively low noise should insure that your system stays up and running when you need it most. Combine with the 91% or better efficiency that the unit provides and you should save a little bit of money on your electric bill as well.
Of course, you'll have to cough up a little bit extra cash from the start to grab it, but the rising costs of electricity surely make it worth the money if it has enough power for your build. The only trouble the Golden King will give you is getting your hands on one. If it wasn't for the availability, the Golden King 550W would have received one of the highest overall ratings a power supply has ever received at TweakTown.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shows off Switch VR kits in action
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced