Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Viking is offering the SF-1500 based SATADIMM in SLC, MLC and eMLC flash configurations. The claimed read and write speeds are 260MB/s, but we can tell that is a conservative rating. IOPS performance goes up to 30,000. You might expect the Viking SATADIMM to use a SAS interface, but Viking went with the more common SATA interface to save space and increase server compatibility.
The rest of the specifications match what we've come to known as Team SandForce products. The SF-1500 has a few trick programming bits like the Super Capacitor, but for the most part a SF-1500 is a SF-1500. The real difference with the SATADIMM comes from the DIMM portion in the name. Using a JEDEC MO-269F form factor, commonly known as standard DDR3 slot, the SATADIMM is far from standard.
Power is fed to the SATADIMM through the memory slots power circuits. The SATADIMM uses a tiny switching power circuit to bring clean, consistent power to the SSD. The first thing we were worried about is how the SATADIMM would react to some of the overclocked environments, but the onboard power circuits handle the conversion. Of course, there aren't any proper servers that do what you or I do with memory.
Viking has no less than 12 product SKUs for the SATADIMM. The capacity options are 25GB (SLC only), 50GB, 100GB, 200GB and 400GB (MLC and eMLC only). All of the drives use the SandForce SF-1500 28% over provisioning. This guarantees long lasting high performance and long life from your SATADIMM. It will also increase performance when using an array of SATADIMMs when TRIM support is not available.
Our sample is the VRFSD1200GBCSM, AKA the 200GB MLC. We would love to be able to say these are available somewhere, anywhere in the e-tail or retail market, but as of now you have to go directly to Viking. Viking didn't want to give us pricing information and we don't know if there is a lead time between placing the order and delivery. For us, such an amazing, innovative component that has the ability to change the server market should have higher availability and a higher profile so sales can flourish and the market can quickly adapt the new form factor.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [The Viking Modular SATADIMM]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Palit's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti GamingPro pictured
- MSI's new GeForce RTX 2080/2080 Ti DUKE leaked
- NVIDIA's next-gen GeForce RTX 2080 Ti has 4352 CUDA cores
- MSI's new GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO teased
- Burnout Paradise Remastered debuts to PC August 21st
- Fnatic Flick 2 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada