We're really just scratching the surface here today with the LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i4e. With all of the advanced features, configuration options and total control offered by the MegaRAID Management Software, we could tune performance for each and every benchmark and real world application if we had the time. Network administrators setting up SAN storage systems and datacenters will find that not only has LSI given them the tools to make their systems perform at peak levels, but also made it easy with some of the best software we've ever worked with.
When it comes to performance, the LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i4e is able to deliver every drop available from the PCIe 2.0 x8 lane and it even outperforms the HighPoint RocketRAID 2760 that uses a full x16 lane. With up to 24 internal and an additional 4 external drives attached to the controller without additional expanders, you are going to hit the PCIe 2.0 x8 limits fairly quickly, but it is nice to know that the LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i4e is able to give everything you have available.
The cost of the LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i4e might be a bit high for the guy looking to build a home media sever; it is quite a bit lower than what we expected to find for an enterprise class, flagship RAID controller. We managed to find the LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i4e at Provantage for 1192.37 at the time of writing. Just a few days prior, we found the flagship 9280-24i4e at Buy.com for 1080 USD, but while writing this article the deal disappeared. Be sure to take a look there before making your purchase.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [The LSI MegaRAID SAS 9280-24i4e]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Crystal Disk Mark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - AS SSD]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Passmark]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo signals 3DS retirement, ignores it in presentation
- Switch digital revenue nearly doubles, software up 86%
- Death Stranding creator meets Robert De Niro at Tribeca 2019
- Mortal Kombat 11's Director says '$6440 story' is BULLSH*T
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate overtakes Wii U console sales
- ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha.....blocked mounting hole
- OWC 10Gbe Thunderbolt 3 Review
- did the old ivy bridge overclock issue on z68 boards ever get fixed?
- LED strip always on even after PC off?
- Netgear Orbi Pro Ceiling Review
- Carpe Diem! Imperator: Rome Available Now
- Garth Brooks Makes Mobile Game Debut in Words With Friends, Announces Final Pre-Order Window for The Legacy Collection
- Nexile releases new trailer for Jump King along with release date
- World War Z - The zombie apocalypse is frantic, frightening - and fun - in the World War Z Reaction Trailer!
- Focus Home Interactive Q4 2018 - 2019 Earnings!