Out of the box the GIGABYTE HD 6950 2GB isn't bringing anything new to the table compared to just about every other HD 6950 currently on the market. That's not a bad thing, though, as it comes with that aggressive price tag and at reference speeds, while we didn't test it, we know how it's going to perform and we know that's very well.
What we got the chance to do today, though, was look at what happens when we start to get down and dirty with the HD 6950. To say we're impressed with the overclocking potential of the model would be a little bit of an understatement. We're seeing some great performance from the GIGABYTE HD 6950 when we overclock which doesn't just put it ahead of the reference clocked HD 6970s, but the pre-overclocked HD 6970s from both Diamond and HIS, too.
We already liked the HD 6950 2GB as out of the box it offers some great performance for under $300. Take the time, though, to do a bit of overclocking and you've got a real beast on your hands for the price.
While you can of course throw the HD 6970 BIOS on the card, it seems that there's some issues coming to light with the memory a few weeks on. Personally, I would recommend that you go down the path of overclocking like this instead of changing the BIOS. It also seems at the moment there's no option to adjust the voltage on the modified BIOS HD 6950s, and considering we can get not only performance better than reference HD 6970s, but also overclocked ones, this is a great path to take.
Strong performance, strong price, great OC potential and a shiny sticker make this another great HD 6950. Another strong brand brings with it a reference card that does exactly what you expect; perform well at a good price. It'll be interesting to see how GIGABYTE attack this model and other models in the series with some of their much loved series like SOC and Windforce.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card, Specifications and Overclocking]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Piccolo/Cell/Kenshin and Shishio added to Jump Force roster
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate post-launch rumor, more content?
- Switch SMITE scheduled for Jan 24th launch, pre-orders live
- Amazon depleted of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stock
- Diablo III once resembled Diablo II
- is a supplement this is
- Z390 Taichi Onboard LED issue
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card