Before we take a look at our platform motherboard for our I845GE review, we will first have a look at the I845PE and GE together - first a bit of detail on the I845PE.
This is the successor to the I845E chipset, supporting the same AGP 4x AGP connection and ICH4, you may be forgiven for believing it is just an I845E. The I845PE has a new memory controller built in that is supposed to increase performance @ 266Mhz over the original I845E chipset as well as offer official DDR-333 support. With the enthusiasts in mind, it is set to be an overclockers dream on paper, with the only missing component being AGP 8x support.
The I845GE is the successor the I845G chipset. While the I845G did support unofficial DDR-333 memory dividers, the I845GE now gives you true DDR-333 memory options, so there is no need for motherboard manufacturers to skimp on this feature. Intel has also upgraded the graphics core on this chip from a 200Mhz core clock to 266Mhz with the option of up to 64MB of Dynamic Shared memory rather than the 48MB like originally supported by the I845G. While this will give the I845GE a boost over the I845G in terms of onboard graphics power, it is still not up to gamers standards, no onboard video at this stage is.
All in all the new chipsets are not all that "new" but rather things we should have seen long ago from Intel. With both SiS and VIA beating Intel to the punch with DDR-333 support, we'd expect more from an industry leader like Intel.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel I845GE - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel I845GE - Page 2 [The Chipsets]
- Intel I845GE - Page 3 [Test Board]
- Intel I845GE - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel I845GE - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel I845GE - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Benchmarks]
- Intel I845GE - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel I845GE - Page 8 [Benchmarks - D3D]
- Intel I845GE - Page 9 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Jagex showcase Old School RuneScape in-game statistics
- 'The Witcher 3' developers possibly working on Switch title
- PlayStation CEO says Sony has an eye on multiplayer/co-op
- Netflix pull future 'The Punisher' & 'Jessica Jones' seasons
- Nintendo to 'revive' a 'very officially cancelled' game
- BIOSTAR B450GT3 (AMD B450) Motherboard Review
- best enhance your flexibility
- cpu internal ac/dc load line settings and undervolding?
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Explore a World of Ancient Chinese Mythology!
- BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment America's Post EVO Japan Fighting Game News Round-up
- Million Arthur: Arcana Blood Coming To Steam This Summer
- Rising Lords announces alpha launch via new trailer
- Zombie-Veggie Shooter, The Walking Vegetables Radical! Edition Coming Soon to PS4!