Before we take a look at our platform motherboard for our I845GE review, we will first have a look at the I845PE and GE together - first a bit of detail on the I845PE.
This is the successor to the I845E chipset, supporting the same AGP 4x AGP connection and ICH4, you may be forgiven for believing it is just an I845E. The I845PE has a new memory controller built in that is supposed to increase performance @ 266Mhz over the original I845E chipset as well as offer official DDR-333 support. With the enthusiasts in mind, it is set to be an overclockers dream on paper, with the only missing component being AGP 8x support.
The I845GE is the successor the I845G chipset. While the I845G did support unofficial DDR-333 memory dividers, the I845GE now gives you true DDR-333 memory options, so there is no need for motherboard manufacturers to skimp on this feature. Intel has also upgraded the graphics core on this chip from a 200Mhz core clock to 266Mhz with the option of up to 64MB of Dynamic Shared memory rather than the 48MB like originally supported by the I845G. While this will give the I845GE a boost over the I845G in terms of onboard graphics power, it is still not up to gamers standards, no onboard video at this stage is.
All in all the new chipsets are not all that "new" but rather things we should have seen long ago from Intel. With both SiS and VIA beating Intel to the punch with DDR-333 support, we'd expect more from an industry leader like Intel.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Intel I845GE - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Intel I845GE - Page 2 [The Chipsets]
- Intel I845GE - Page 3 [Test Board]
- Intel I845GE - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Setup and Sandra]
- Intel I845GE - Page 5 [Benchmarks - System Productivity]
- Intel I845GE - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic Benchmarks]
- Intel I845GE - Page 7 [Benchmarks - OpenGL]
- Intel I845GE - Page 8 [Benchmarks - D3D]
- Intel I845GE - Page 9 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Escape the 'Isle of Dogs' in our Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new MacBook Pro SEVERELY THROTTLES from Core i9 heat
- Western Digital Samples 1.33Tb QLC Die Flash
- Capcom add 'Torch Man' to the Mega Man 11 boss roster
- Kirby Star Allies: Daroach, Dark Meta Knight & more details
- NZXT Kraken M22 CPU Cooler Review
- Question about ASROCK 970 Extreme3 1.0
- MSI X470 Gaming M7 AC (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit