In the looks department you're not seeing anything too different to what you saw out of the HD 6950. Of course, Sapphire have added their own sticker to the card and again being a huge Battlefield fan, I love the Bad Company 2 Vietnam thing that they have going on.
It seems that Sapphire want to make sure they separate themselves from the pack this release and with the package they've put together, we'd say they're doing a good job.
In the power department we've got a little more going on this time around. While the HD 6950 carried with it two 6-Pin PCI-E power connectors, this one carries only one. It does instead carry an 8-Pin PCI-E power connector for its second one, though.
Looking at the Crossfire connectors, we've again got support for more than two cards. Here we've also got that little switch which as we mentioned in our HD 6950 review lets you switch between two different BIOS'.
To extract from my HD 6950 review; "We had seen images of this float around the net and there was plenty of speculation as to what this switch would do. Well, today we can tell you; AMD say it's a Dual BIOS option that allows for safer end user updates.
Setting 1 is unprotected for user updates, and setting 2 is protected as factory defaults. The way it ultimately works is if you flash your card and it goes wrong, you can flick the switch and boot up off the default BIOS. It mainly helps prevent the bricking of cards.
At the moment we're not 100% sure how companies are going to make use of this feature, but we're sure in the coming weeks we'll see companies like Sapphire attack it with models like the TOXIC."
Connectivity wise we've got the same setup as both the HD 6950 and HD 6870. That means two mini-DP 1.2 ports, HDMI 1.4a and two DVI ports, one Single-Link and the other Dual-Link.
The main specification boost the HD 6970 offers over the HD 6950 is the increased Stream Processors; we see it move from 1408 via 22 SIMD to 1536 via 24 SIMD. So many people expected to see 1600. It's possible that AMD are maybe keeping something up their sleeve for later, though.
Texture units have been bumped as well from 88 to 96; ROPs and Z-Stencil stay the same, though, at 32 and 128. The 256-bit memory bus is also the same along with the 2GB of GDDR5 being standard.
Clocks have been bumped, which is something you would expect. We go from 800MHz to 880MHz on the core and the memory jump from 5GHz QDR to 5.5GHz QDR.
Overclocking later down the track should yield some amazing numbers, especially when it comes to the memory clock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Crytek making new AAA online game
- Resident Evil 2 Remake launch imminent, NEW trailer release
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Nintendo to reveal 'Indie Highlights' games for Switch 2019
- Overwatch tease 'Lunar New Year' Chinese dynasty theme skins
- Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Dark TG Mid-Tower Review
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership
- ODEM Applauds Blockchain Centre Vilnius on Its First Anniversary
- Dale North Kicks Off PERFECT SELECTION Compilation Series