Here we have our real gaming tests. Each of the games we chose use multiple cores and GPUs. They are able to stress the system through use of good AI. Both have decent positional audio that adds impact to the sound subsystem of the board. We ran each game through the level or parts listed and recorded frames per second using FRAPS. This brings the whole game into play.
*** A word on gaming as a CPU test ***
Despite the fact that most games are very GPU limited, we are still noticing HDD and even audio creating issues in gaming performance. Because of this you may see differences in the number of frames rendered per second between different boards. Usually the difference is very small, but occasionally because of bad tracing, poor memory or HDD performance, this difference is significant. The issues are often more prevalent in older versions of DirectX, but can still pop up in DX10 and 11.
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (DX9)
Version and / or Patch Used: 1.0
Timedemo or Level Used: First combat until the school is cleared
Developer Homepage: http://www.infinityward.com
Product Homepage: http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com
Most of you know about the game Modern Warfare 2; it caused quite a bit of controversy in the latter half of 2009. The game is a first person shooter with a heavy combat emphasis. It follows the events in the first Modern Warfare very closely and brings back several characters from the original.
As with most games in the Call of Duty franchise, it features a heavy AI load. This is not because of a complex AI routine, but more due to the sheer number of enemies in any given combat situation. It is also our single DX9 based game in our testing suite. Settings are shown below.
As always, gaming is a hit or miss thing. The performance is just not tied to the CPU anymore. True, you can see little differences here and there, but as you can see above, they are mostly minor.
Far Cry 2 (DX10)
Far Cry 2 is a large sandbox style game. There are no levels here so as you move about the island you are on you do not have to wait for the "loading" sign to go away. It is mission driven so each mission is what you would normally think of as the next "level".
In the game you take the role of a mercenary who has been sent to kill the Jackal. Unfortunately your malaria kicks in and you end up being found by him. Long story short, you become the errand boy for a local militia leader and run all over the island doing his bidding. Settings we used for testing are shown below.
Here we find things are a little different. Of course, Far Cry2 is an Intel sponsored game so we can imagine the reasons for this.
Battlefield Bad Company 2 (DX11)
Battlefield Bad Company is another sequel and also another game "franchise". Bad Company 2 is also our DX11 Shooter game. The game follows a fictitious B company team on a mission to recover a Japanese defector. This puts you back in World War II (at least for the beginning of the game) while the multi-player game is centered on much more modern combat. For our testing we used the single player mode. Settings are shown below.
Ok, Bad Company 2 put the 1100T in the middle of the pack. This is nothing to be ashamed of, though, as the gap from top to bottom is only about 11FPS.
As we have said time and time again, gaming is no longer bound by the CPU at higher resolutions. Where you see an impact is if the AI routines are not well done and/or you have bad positional audio. Or in very rare circumstances the CPU is just not well designed. Fortunately, the Phenom II X6 1100T is not one of those CPUs. You can game quite well on it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Analyst: Cyberpunk 2077 out in Q4 2019, will sell 19m copies
- HBM standard updated: 24GB per stack, 96GB HBM2 per card
- PUBG mobile: 200m downloads, 30m daily active users
- Of course Anthem is more rewarding with friends
- Switch is fastest selling current-gen console in U.S.
- MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z390 Taichi Ultimate stuck on Error Code 55
- Z77, using sound card and onboard sound
- QSAN XN8008T NAS Review
- ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ: The Best Gaming Monitor Ever Made
- Stylish Brawler Bladed Fury Launches Today ï»¿on Steam
- Wamill releases ICO update for Blockchain Tycoon
- Digital Extremes Brings The Big Guns To Warframe With Fortuna: The Profit-Taker For Steam PC Today
- PUBG Mobile Dominates Google Play Awards, Surpasses 200 Million Downloads Worldwide
- GROOVE X Introduce a New Companion Robot, 'LOVOT'