Testing and the Ballistix MOD Utility
I wanted to get an installed image of the memory before I took things too far. As you can see, the colored stripe is oriented in the easiest viewable direction, and with one quick view people will know what you have under the hood.
Adding the BLACTIVECOOL Fan assembly is simple, just stretch the legs around the memory slot locks and gently release the pressure. Under power you can see there are no added LEDs to this kit, and you also see a finger print. I left the print as a reminder, you mist wipe the fan down after it is in place, as hard as I tried I left prints all over it.
After you download and install the appropriate 32 or 64 bit version of the Ballistix MOD Utility and install it, you are left with a desktop icon that opens this. The MOD Utility shows four main pages; SPD data, temperature, settings, and an about section so you may contact Crucial via the address if things don't work for you. I however had no issues getting this installed or running.
I cleared the CMOS and booted the Ballistix modules with the XMP settings, and from the first boot they were running at 2133 MHz, with 9-10-9 timings. This 34°C reading is showing the temperature of DIMM3, or the hotter of the two modules with a room ambient of 25°C. Of course, this is with the fan running. The logging feature is very simple and intuitive and offers the ability to go back and see exactly what the temperatures were.
Under the settings tab you can change the unit of temperature measurement, the rate at which the chart in the previous image updates, and the rate in which the log file will record. Don't forget when you are done to save your settings with the button at the bottom right corner.
In the about page, Crucial offers site information for the memory, a link to the forums, and even a way to check for updates to the software.
Just so I could say I was at 4 GHz on the processor I overclocked the memory to 2208 MHz with the stock timings and voltages required for 2133 MHz. Even with just a touch more speed added, you can see the temperatures with the fan are already increasing ever so slightly.
This is what results you would get without the BLACTIVECOOL Fan. With the same abuse of 32M SuperPi Mod 1.5, the memory runs over eleven degrees hotter and that isn't including what this dead zone of heat does to the surrounding motherboard when you are water cooling as I am.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT25664FN2139 4GB PC3-17000]
- Page 4 [The Crucial Ballistix Active Cooling Fan Packaging]
- Page 5 [The BLACTIVECOOL Fan, Hardware and Assembly]
- Page 6 [Testing and the Ballistix MOD Utility]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 microtransactions should be cosmetic-only weapon & armor skins
- No Man's Sky physical re-release includes Beyond expansion and all DLC
- Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 coming to PS4 at 1080p 60FPS
- Modern Warfare supports mouse and keyboard on consoles
- Oddworld: Soulstorm on PC releases exclusively on the Epic Games Store
- Team Group T-Force Cardea Liquid M.2 SSD Review
- Synology DS620slim Six-Bay SFF NAS Review
- LaCie Rugged RAID Shuttle Review
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- HyperX Reveals HyperX Aqua Keyboard Switches and Qi Certified Wireless Charging Products at Gamescom
- Yubico Launches the World's First Lightning-Compatible Security Key, the YubiKey 5Ci
- Monkey King: Hero Is Back Pre-Orders Now Open on Steam
- Lionsgate and Bloober Team Release New Blair Witch 'Insanity' Story Trailer
- PINBRAWLER CREATURE IN THE WELL PRE-ORDERS NOW LIVE GAME LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 6