GIGABYTE needed the Windforce cooler as they were one of the only companies who didn't really seem to have their own cooler series. HIS have the IceQ, Sapphire the Vapor-X, MSI the Cyclone and Twin Frozr and GIGABYTE didn't really have anything. Yes, they had cards that carried with them new cooling, but they were just labeled as an OC card.
Now we're seeing the Windforce logo show up and what it tells us is that we should be excited about the card inside. The Windforce has come into our lives quickly and impresses us as it gets used on a number of mid-range cards.
At over 1GHz the HD 6850 is just a beast; you can see it's got some serious performance and really the HD 6870 at over 1GHz isn't that much faster. The value on the HD 6850 just sky rockets when you start to tip 1GHz and there's no denying that the clock is helped along with that Windforce cooler.
It's cool how AMD has let partners attack this model straight away. It needed to be done so it could compete against the GTX 460 which has seen great success thanks to the partners attacking the model with fancy coolers and fancier overclocks.
It would've been nice to see GIGABYTE offer us an overclock on this card, but we're not going to hold that against them as no one has attacked the series yet in that department. It will be interesting to see if this model comes in under the SOC naming later down the track, as we can clearly see the potential.
If you've decided on a HD 6850 then that's the easy bit done. You have to now decide which one to buy and to be honest, you're going to be hard pressed to look past the GIGABYTE one we've looked at today. It'll be interesting to see what some of those aforementioned companies in the first paragraph bring later down the track. For now, though, it's all Windforce!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD appoints fresh blood to Radeon team
- Assassin's Creed Origins: DLC 'The Hidden Ones' trailer
- PUBG to ban over 100,000 cheaters in one single wave
- Google hires ex PlayStation and Xbox executive Phil Harrison
- Dragon Ball FighterZ gets launch trailer days before release
- Intel 760P 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Samsung 860 Pro 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Z270-HD3 F8 bios and advanced frequency settings not available...
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top