The Lightning series is all about the overclock and that's the first thing we've got to cover. Initially I felt the clock speed of 900MHz being achieved wasn't all that fantastic. Yes, it was good, but not fantastic. As I began to think about it, though, NVIDIA has really skewed our perception on what a good overclock is because of the massive overclocking potential that their mid-range card offers.
Really, what it all comes down to is that we've got a 200MHz overclock from the stock clocks and on such a high end model that's indeed impressive. What you end up with is a really fast single card setup that manages to outperform a number of dual GPU setups. If that isn't awesome, then I don't know what is.
At $560 the GTX 480 Lightning isn't cheap in any sense of the word and for most people it's just going to be a turn off. Other people would've been waiting for the Lightning variation and the chances are you're not going to be disappointed. What's going to be interesting now is what happens with NVIDIA and this GTX 580 that's just around the corner. The big question we wonder is, while the GTX 580 will no doubt be faster than a stock GTX 480, how much more expensive will it be and when will we see stock?
For now, though, the MSI GTX 480 Lightning is really everything we would want; it would've been nice to see a higher overclock, but really, at 900MHz / 4200MHz QDR the performance is very strong and that is seen in our graphs today.
MSI as always has done a good job with the Lightning version of the card and as we mentioned, it's not going to be for everyone including the light hearted and the light walleted (is that a word?!? lol), but if you're looking for some serious power from a single video card, this is one you've got to look at.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Strong sales cement Anthem in EA's playbook
- Ocarina of Time Online brings co-op to Hyrule
- Nintendo could be considering making their own gaming phone
- New Minecraft update adds crossbows, shields, cats and more
- Call of Duty Mobile is Modern Warfare & Black Ops combined
- Asus RT-N16 - Can´t get wifi to work
- ASUS RT-AX88U Wi-Fi 6 Router Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING X & VENTUS XS Review
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- Killing Floor: Double Feature Coming May 21, 2019 to PlayStation Store and Game Retailers Near You
- Critically acclaimed retro platformer The Messenger hits PlayStation 4 today
- OMG Zombies! to invade Nintendo Switch on the 26th March!
- LEGO DC Super-Villains Releases Batman: The Animated Series Level Pack
- Super Crome: Bullet Purgatory Enters the Steam Early Access Atmosphere Today