Taking A Closer Look
- Package Contents
The board comes packaged in a nicely designed blue, black and white box. Inside the box is a detailed User's Manual, two IDE cables, one floppy cable, a driver CD and a USB expansion header that enables the two extra USB ports. Abit also includes three pieces of software on the driver CD: Adobe Acrobat Reader, Norton AntiVirus 2002 and an Abit Hardware Monitor.
This is not the most elaborate software bundle we have seen packaged with a motherboard, however, you must remember that Abit is targeting the enthusiast market with this board and many enthusiasts are most likely to already own this software, and are just looking for a cheap, high performance motherboard - without the bells and whistles.
- Layout & Features
The Abit SR7-8X features a slot layout of 1 AGP, 5 PCI and 3 DDR DIMM slots. Most of Abit's Socket478 motherboards, except their MAX series, of course, feature a similar slot layout to the SR7-8X and the lack of ISA, CNR and AMR slots shouldn't be a problem for many of you as devices requiring these slots became obsolete long, long ago.
The ATX power header has been smartly placed under the CPU socket. This is a great position for the power header because unlike previous board layouts, you are not required to run the thick power cable over your heatsink/fan unit, restricting airflow. The IDE and Floppy connectors were also smartly placed, allowing easy installation of drives once the board has been installed into your PC.
The Northbridge is cooled by a green passive heatsink, which is quite unusual of Abit as they often have an active cooler attached to the Northbridge on most of their motherboards. My guess is that it ran cool enough without a fan attached and besides, I'm sure most of you can do without the added noise anyway.
The board features a 10/100 LAN port enabled through a Realtek RTL8100B controller. This should come in very handy to many of you and from our internal testing, the controller actually performs quite admirably, even against PCI solutions. Another feature the SR7-8X touts is an AC'97 audio controller. Providing only 2-channel audio, its sound quality is no where near as good as what you would be getting from a PCI audio solution, however, it is certainly sufficient for general windows use.
It was slightly disappointing to see the lack of RAID and firewire support, even though the board's Soutbridge supports these two features. However, this makes it quite clear that Abit is targeting the value market with this board.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 3 [Package, Layout & Features]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 4 [Test System & SiSoft Sandra]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 5 [System Productivity]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 6 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Abit SR7-8X - Page 7 [Overclocking & Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SK Hynix announces GDDR6, offers up to 14Gbps of bandwidth
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- The GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series