One thing about a managed switch (especially those with a WebUI) is that they have to have an IP address to work. It can be a pain to find out this address and then get everything configured from there. To help with this NETGEAR includes a utility that allows you to quickly find and configure any NETGEAR switch in your network. This is called the SmartControlCenterManager (quite a long name really). During this installation the system will install Adobe AIR. After the installation you may get an error saying that AIR cannot start, but after a quick update to AIR everything will be ok.
Once you get the software installed (a very simple installation) you can quickly find the NETGEAR switches on your network. The discovery takes very little time (about 2-3 seconds). After the discovery process you can begin the configuration process. When you click on the "configure device" button this is where you would setup a static IP right from this piece of software without ever having to open the WebUI. You can also change the password, reboot the device and open the WebUI all from this one page.
On the Maintenance page you can save or restore the system configuration to the selected device.
The Tasks page is supposed to show you any active tasks (for lack of a better word) that are scheduled for the devices available. The problem here is that although we setup a few tasks in the GS110TP (powering down the POE ports), we never did see them pop up here.
The Help page was no help at all. We clicked on the Apply button as directed and were treated to a page that told us that this product would be coming in Q1 2010......
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SCDKey celebrates Black Friday with cheap OS/game keys
- Playground Games discusses benefits of Microsoft ownership
- Nintendo has no immediate plans for N64 mini
- Telltale begins dismantling business and liquidating assets
- THQ Nordic has 35 unannounced projects in development
- Asus 2-in-1 Q524UQ
- AMD Radeon RX 590 Review: The Refresh Of A Refresh Is Here
- Gigabyte Psu buzzing?
- Netgear Insight Business Storage and Networking Management
- EML to PST Converter
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions
- Lex Machina Expands Employment Litigation Analytics with Launch of ERISA Module
- L'Oreal Launches La Roche-Posay My Skin Track UV--The First Battery-Free Wearable Sun Safety Sensor
- Drobo Launches High Performance 8D to Transform Storage Workflows
- CORSAIR Announces Support for Xbox One