ECS is using a simple, but very effective formula. Grab a well-priced card, slap a giant cooler on it and give it a boost in clock speeds. Of course, if you're going to spend more to buy a version with such a great cooler, it seems silly not to take full advantage of it and try boost the clocks even more.
You can see even with the extra voltage running through the card it was still the coolest GTS 450 and one of the quietest, which is very impressive. Of course, this does come at the cost of taking up another slot than most cards these days; three in this case. If you don't need the slots, though, want to overclock, want something quiet and something that's going to keep temperatures down, it's a small trade off.
We've looked at a lot of GTS 450s since launch and to be honest we see a lot of them offer us something different. Palit offered us a 930MHz core and while the card was quiet, it ran quite warm. Galaxy offered us a good OC without the high heat, but the card was a little louder than others. GIGABYTE and MSI offer some good coolers that take only two slots while offering more aggressive pricing. And ECS today offers us the best cooling solution out of the lot. What it's done is give us the ability to overclock very high. That comes at the cost of the card taking up an extra slot, and while we don't have the price yet, no doubt it'll be slightly more expensive than some of the cheaper ones we've looked at.
The ECS like a lot of the other GTS 450s we've looked at brings something else to the table. For some it's not something they're going to be interested in, while for others it'll be the complete opposite and this will be the GTS 450 they've been waiting for.
With all of that said and done, it's also got to be mentioned that we achieved a 1GHz core clock on an NVIDIA card; something that has eluded us for a while with the MSI GTX 460 HAWK being the closest to get to it. Today, no more; no longer are AMD the only company able to offer us cards with a 1GHz core clock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sharkoon release the S1000 Micro-ATX case range
- FSP release 2000W dedicated mining power supply
- Black Friday sales sees Oculus Rift down to just $349
- Elon Musk receives approval for tunnel under LA
- Samsung could unveil the Galaxy S9 at CES 2018 in January
- Jaybird X3 Wireless Earbud Review
- ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Bluetooth
- ALiveNF6G-VSTA motherboard: squematic and dump BIOS
- Asrock H97m Pro4 BSOD installing Vega56
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ