The main question we need to answer is, has the ECS Black GTX 460 1GB been able to stand out amongst all the other GTX 460s we've already tested? In a word, yes. Two key bits make the Black stand out; the first is that massive cooler that ECS have opted for, it's a cut above the rest when it comes to performance.
The second is the out of the box overclock, which while not being the highest, is higher than most other cards on the market and while they are the two main stand out points for the card, it's got to be said that there's a few other things that help the cause.
The fact that ECS has put a bit of thought into the SLI connector and given us an extra long one is fantastic. It's so often we see companies that utilize these massive coolers but forget about the prospect of running two of them, and sure, while we understand that SLI and CrossFire setups are a small percentage, it doesn't hurt to put a bit of thought into it.
The other thing that stands out is the overclock; the passive cooler really helps achieve a massive overclock while keeping the card cool. That in itself is such a gift for overclockers.
The only negative would be the size of the cooler; it's essentially three slots and to be honest I wouldn't want to place another one in that third slot as it would be right up against the cooler. While no doubt SLI is an option, this card is ultimately for the person who just wants to run a single card and doesn't mind having that said card take up an extra slot than the standard GTX 460.
For the reason above the ECS Black GTX 460 won't be an option for some people. On the other hand, if you don't mind a card that's a little fatter which will cool better than most on the market and offer a greater OC than most, this is the perfect card.
You wrap all these points into a $229 US price tag and you're really onto a winner. While it's hard to point out a "best" GTX 460, the ECS Black probably gives another option to users who are a little more extreme than others, but are still working with in a budget.
Over the last few weeks I've been asked what the best GTX 460 is. While it's impossible to narrow it down to just one, what I can say is that the ECS Black GTX 460 1GB will be getting highly recommended in a short list of GTX 460s that really stand out from the pack.
Massive cooling, an excellent out of the box overclock and a very aggressive price tag ultimately make this one GTX 460 that you need to keep an eye out for, especially if you're interested in doing some overclocking as the TwinTurbo Pro helps keep those core temps right down which is just another bonus amongst a whole list of others.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 4 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Final Fantasy XIV]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - PhysX Tests]
- Page 16 [Temperature Test]
- Page 17 [Sound Test]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 20 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 21 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Over 322,000 cheaters have been caught in Battlegrounds
- BIOSTAR reveal their flagship RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- Logitech release the ASTRO A20 Wireless Headset
- SK politician talks PUBG success, holds golden pan
- Samsung's new 360-degree camera requires 2 x GTX 1080 Ti
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz