As with all ASUS products, the P6X58D-E uses an AMI BIOS layout with a few ASUS special features. If you are looking to tweak your CPU and memory then the place you want to head first is to the AITweaker Pages.
As you can see, with the Intel X58 and 1366 CPUs there are a larger array of voltage and CPU options. Thankfully they are almost all located on this page.
The RAM timing options also seem to be a little more detailed than what we have found on this level (upper end of the mainstream market) of motherboards for AMD.
The P6X58D-E also has the usual Advanced menu which includes items for adjusting advanced properties of the CPU, onboard devices, USB and a few other items.
In the power area we find the Q-Fan controls. We have talked about these before, but it is worth talking about them again here.
As you can see, the Q-Fan controls allow a few options for both the CPU and Chassis fans. You get an extra option with the CPU fan, though; manual control.
With manual control ASUS gives you some impressive options for your CPU fan. Now, this only work if you are using a single fan cooler, so our Hyper 212+ that we used to use would have problems with this single header option.
As you would expect, the P6X58D-E overclocks pretty well. You can still tell that it is not meant for extreme overclocking, though. There are warnings all over the place when you push outside normal tolerances. It was very odd to see a voltage of 1.4 turn red in the BIOS, indicating a dangerous voltage. This is a fairly regular voltage used when overclocking. In fact, to get our stable overclock we ended up pushing to 1.435V without any problems, but we typically use high-end cooling. Our final OC ended up being 172 x 25 for a nice 4.3GHz clock.
You can see the validation for the ASUS P6X58D-E here.
The TurboV software on the P6X58D-E is rather light weight. We were expecting the usual compliment of features including an Auto Tuning option, but this was not available.
Still, for what it is worth, the TurboV software that was present on the P6X58 was still very functional.
As all overclocking results are dependent on the hardware you use, your results may vary. Results of our overclocking tests are included in the performance section with the stock scores.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the motherboard. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Complete Edition debuts on the Switch Oct 15
- Dota 2 tournament The International: biggest prize pool ever with $33M
- NVIDIA announces GeForce NOW for Android: PC gaming on your smartphone
- Respawn CEO apologizes to gamers for devs INSULTING Apex Legends fans
- CDPR talks about how Cyberpunk 2077 will use RTX features at Gamescom
- Rivet Networks: Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 Review
- z390 phantom gaming-itx/ac buzzing from mb
- ASUS ProArt PA34VC Review: Professional-Grade UltraWide Perfection
- Corsair HS35 Stereo Gaming Headset Review
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director