As I mentioned in the introduction, I'm a big fan of the Super Overclock series from GIGABYTE and while I liked the HD 5770 SOC, this model is really what the series is about; those higher end cards that can really pack a punch. You're ultimately able to play just about any game at 2560 x 1600 or below with game settings maxed out. The only time you might run into problems is playing at that res with AA turned on. Even then, though, we can see games like Far Cry 2 still give us the numbers we need at these high settings.
It would've been nice to see a retail package just so we could see exactly what GIGABYTE had going on, but let's be honest, it's going to follow the same structure as most other GIGABYTE SOC cards and just generally speaking, most other video cards period, which means it's going to have the manual, driver CD and a cable or two. Nothing to get excited about, but it helps keep the price down a little and really, the hero of the package is the card itself.
Onto the card itself; it's the best GTX 470 we've seen to date. Its cooler is quiet and performs well, and the three fans just look mean. The overall finish on the cooler is really nice; this card has really received the SOC treatment.
Our biggest issue is the decision for GIGABYTE not to overclock the memory. While the core is indeed overclocked nicely, it would've been nice to see the memory bumped up. Even if they just rounded off that odd 3348MHz DDR to 3500MHz DDR it would come much appreciated.
Of course, that's something you can do yourself, but if you're going to fork out the extra dollars for a model that is marketed as the Super Overclock, it would've been nice to not have to do it. Really outside of that and even if you're happy to overclock, we would recommend this card in a heartbeat for the simple fact that the cooler is fantastic and significantly better than the reference one and better than other GTX 470s we've seen to date that have moved away from the stock cooler.
The GTX 470 continues to have better value than its big brother, the GTX 480 and here today you can see that for the most part it lags less than 10% behind the more expensive model. And while it doesn't hold the same value as a model like the GTX 460, if you just want that faster out of the box performance that doesn't involve a massive overclock, a model like the GTX 470 is a better option. If you want even more performance and a really nicely upgraded cooler, then the Super Overclock version from GIGABYTE is the one to buy.
If you're in the market for a GTX 480, maybe step back for a second and think about saving some coin. Ultimately the GTX 470 SOC from GIGABYTE would be money better spent.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Card and Specifications]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Capcom reveal Resident Evil 2 Claire 'Military' DLC costume
- Soulcalibur VI - Swords and Souls documentary video part 1/2
- Mario/Zelda/Pokemon themed Smash Bros. Ultimate controllers
- Kingdom Hearts III Screenshots: Twilight Town/Olympus Worlds
- Zombie outfit/snapshot filters come to Super Mario Odyssey
- x79 compatibility with NVNe
- ASRock X399M Taichi Stuck on Splash Screen
- HP EX920 SSD Review - Mainstream Perfection
- SIV Smart Fan 5 on X399 platforms ... a mess.
- Latest z370 taichi bios is not stable no matter what I do.
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam