The PX845E Pro II features all of the CPU, Memory and AGP adjustments even the most hardcore tweaker could ask for. Firstly, you are able to adjust FSB speeds up to 248MHz in 1MHz increments. Additionally, you can lock the PCI bus speed at 33MHz, allowing you to increase your FSB without increasing the PCI bus, thus removing your PCI devices from being a bottleneck while overclocking.
As far as voltage is concerned, the VCore, DRAM and AGP voltages are adjustable, with available VCore adjustments between 1.5v and 1.85v. Furthermore, the DRAM voltage can be adjusted between 2.5v and 2.8v, and AGP voltage can be adjusted between 1.5v to 1.6v.
Using a core voltage setting of 1.85v and default DRAM/AGP voltages, I was able to overclock my 2GHz Pentium 4 (Willamette) up to 2.32GHz (20x116)! This is a massive overclock considering that the processor is not based on the newer Northwood core and that only air cooling was used (Alpha PAL8942). At 2.32GHz my system remained extremely stable and I was able to run Prime95 for 24 hours straight without one lockup.
Overall, I was very pleased with the Albatron PX845E. Firstly, the board is truly feature packed, including onboard 6-channel audio, a 10/100 LAN controller, USB 2.0 and ATA133 RAID support. As well as this, the board provides great performance, is highly tweakable and touts an excellent layout.
I did, however, have one concern. Due to the fact that the board only supports DDR266 memory, if you are not intending on overclocking you will find that the performance of competing DDR333 P4 solutions such as SiS' 648 chipset is slightly better. However, this will not be a problem if you are planning on overclocking, as DDR333 memory speeds can be quite easily reached.
At a price of around US$130, the board is surprisingly quite a bargain. The bottom line is, if you are looking for a high performance, feature-rich motherboard, I have no trouble recommending the Albatron PX845E.
* Good performance
* Great layout
* Highly overclockable
* Relatively cheap
* Many integrated features
* Lack of DDR333 support
Rating - 9.5/10 and TweakTown's Editors Choice Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 3 [Package Contents, Features & Layout]
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 4 [Test System & SiSoft Sandra]
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 5 [System Productivity]
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 6 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Albatron PX845E Pro II - Page 7 [Overclocking & Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Inland Professional SATA III moves to 2nd place at Amazon
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MoonQuest comes to Steam Early Access 7 years later
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit