ATi recently surprised us with the release of two new graphics chipsets - the R9700 for high-end users and the R9000 for those on a budget. Early previews have shown that the R9700 provides performance that is far superior to what we have previously seen from any past 3D accelerator (beating the GeForce 4 Ti4600 by a significant margin), while the R9000 provides performance that places it well ahead of competing chipsets that are in the same price range.
In the past, ATi has been continually plagued by poor driver sets, even though their hardware has been up to scratch with competition. However, since the release of their Radeon 8500 chipset, ATi has certainly given nVidia something to worry about, with the R8500 beating the GeForce 3 Ti500 in both price and performance. Although the release of nVidia's GeForce4 chipset sent ATi back to the drawing board, they have once again managed to wrestle the performance crown from nVidia in the high-end graphics chipset market as well as the budget market.
Due to the fact that nVidia's next major graphics chipset (NV30) isn't due out for at least another few months, ATi can quite comfortably enjoy their market lead for some time to come. The first of ATi's new graphics chipsets to hit our labs was the R9000 based Hercules 3D Prophet 9000. How does it compare to the GeForce4 range and most importantly, is it worth the money? Read on to find out!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 2 [Specifications]
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 3 [Technology Overview & The Card]
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Max Payne]
- Hercules 3D Prophet 9000 - Page 7 [Overclocking & Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Path of Exile 2019 roadmap detailed
- Microsoft calls Project xCloud its 'Netflix for games'
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media