I really liked the GTX 460 768MB Cyclone. For people who are happy to overclock it's probably one of my favorite GTX 460s on the market because of the quality of the heatsink/fan. Not only does it offer us good noise levels, but also runs cool when compared to the competition, which is exactly what you want from a card that has opted for aftermarket cooling.
Compared to the 768MB version which offers similar performance, the value of not just this model but all the other 1GB ones isn't quite as strong. The slightly wider bus and extra ROPs do very little for extra performance on a whole.
In saying that, we see some performance gains help us move past that 30 FPS minimum at the higher resolution which is important. The good news is that the 1GB version isn't all that much more expensive than the 768MB one. Also, compared to other models like the GTX 465 and HD 5830 to name just a few, the overall value is still better which is fantastic news for the consumer.
Out of the 1GB cards, the Cyclone is a stand out; not because of its out of the box performance which does sit a little back compared to some of the more expensive offerings that carry an 800MHz+ core, but because of the cooler and its performance. If you're interested in overclocking yourself you should be able to achieve some good performance thanks to its temperature being impressive out of the box.
The only downer from the 1GB Cyclone is probably the bundle. While not a huge deal, the lack of a mini HDMI convertor when the card itself carries quite an uncommon connector is a little annoying, but we're not sure who's really going to make use of it and getting a hold of a connector shouldn't be too hard.
While its out of the box overclocking isn't as strong as some of the others we've looked at, overclocking is easy with MSI's own Afterburner software. The bottom line is you're also paying less compared to models that carry a higher clock speed. The fact that the Cyclone cooler performs so well is what makes it stand out in the end and helps turn it from a good card to a great card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 20 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 21 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Far Cry 5 official PC system requirements revealed
- Father of Sonic joins Square Enix to work on new game
- Stardew Valley was the most downloaded Switch game in 2017
- Vive Pro's recommended PC specs may get bumped up
- Sony and Nike make official PS2 shoes
- Spectre Bios Updates
- Lian-Li PC-O11 WW Feedback and O11 Air Feedback
- Investigation: Benefits to Prioritization Software
- When is a RX570 not a RX570?
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series