We told you at the outset that the Rampage III Gene would have some big shoes to fill. After all, we think that its big brother is one of the best boards out right now. Unfortunately it did not deliver as well as we would have liked. There were some HDD performance issues that we ran into that hurt many of our less gaming oriented tests.
Of course, the RIIIG is meant as a gaming and overclocking board. That much is evident from the features presented (and from the performance we saw). It is not a board you would pick up if you are looking for a rendering workstation, but it is a board for gaming. With items like GameFirst and the X-Fi enhanced VIA audio, it makes for an excellent gaming platform, especially for LAN parties and online gaming. It is small enough that you could build it into a SFF case (a nice portable one) and carry it with you when you go a-fraggin.
The cost is also right at $239.99 from NewEgg.com which includes a lot of performance and features. To wrap up, the Rampage III Gene is a great product. ASUS has done an excellent job of maintaining a high level of performance in a very small space. They have also maintained the same level of component quality found on other ROG boards. From the Intel LAN to the Marvell SATA 3.0 controller with RAID (provided by the Drive Expert).
While the Gene is not going to perform as well as its big brother (the Rampage III Extreme), the differences are relatively small when you look at them, while the price difference is a whopping $150.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Zelda: Link's Awakening Switch & GameBoy comparison video
- Apex Legends mods have banned over 16,000 cheaters so far
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage