As with almost all boards out today (with a few minor exceptions) the ASRock 880G Extreme3 is built around the ATX layout. Interestingly enough, although most of the ASRock boards we have played with have had gold highlights, this one looks very familiar. It has a very distinctive blue and white design.
The upper half of the 880G Extreme3 looks like most other AMD motherboards. You still have the big plastic collar for the CPU heatsink. The RAM slots are not staggered like they are on other boards, so to have dual channel you will fill ether the blue or the white slots (or of course, all four). There are a nice amount of fan headers here, with two close to the CPU socket and one next to the RAM slots.
In the image below you will see one of our favorite pet peeves about the modern ATX board, the 8-pin Aux power socket. I know the reasons for it and I understand why it is here, but it makes me wonder if the need for this is not an indication that we have outgrown the ATX layout?
The lower half of the board has our three PCIe x16 mechanical slots. Of course, all are not capable of x16 electrical performance. The two blue slots are each capable of x16 when used singly. When used together they are capable of x8 each while the white slots are only x4. Looking at the second blue slot, there is an interesting hold-down mechanism for your GPU. It slides back and forth to lock the card into place or release it.
Opposite the peripheral slots are the six SATA 3.0 ports. We also find the handy board mounted power and reset button along with a pair of diagnostic LEDs.
The I/O ports are what we have come to expect from a motherboard with an IGP. The addition of USB 3.0 and a back mounted Clear CMOS button are even becoming common.
Wrapping up our walk around the 880G Extreme3, is pretty standard fare as far as layout goes. It does have support for three-way Crossfire, but as the third slot is only going to be x4 it is something of a waste for enthusiasts.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Resident Evil 2 supports ultrawide monitors
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media