Hands on Use
With benchmarks done, I came away very impressed with the performance that the reasonably priced ASUS U30Jc mustered and was still able to offer very good battery life. I have already mentioned that the machine is very attractive with its silver-brushed aluminum on the top of the lid and on the wrist rest area. The machine looks very high-end and the brushed aluminum catches less smudges and fingerprints than other notebooks that have glossy plastic lids.
This machine has a very glossy screen that has lots of glare in bright rooms. However, the screen is very good for watching video and movies when the workday is done. The fact that the ASUS U30Jc uses an NVIDIA GeForce 301M GPU means that this is one of the best notebooks for streaming video from Hulu and other sources that I have tried. The ASUS U30Jc can play streaming video in full screen mode with only an occasional hiccup. The video for the most part is smooth and you quickly forget you are watching on a notebook. Things are equally as smooth when watching DVDs using the optical drive.
The ASUS U30Jc has the typical ASUS keyboard. ASUS tends to put small right shift keys on their machines while the left shift key is full-size. I was able to use the slightly smaller left shift key without any issues. The keyboard just looks a bit strange thanks to the smaller shift key. The track pad is well defined and has a different texture that lets you feel when you are on the track pad. The buttons are well placed and easy to click.
The screen of the ASUS U30Jc is great for video and movies as I mentioned before and the GPU is up to the task of making that video silky smooth. Unfortunately, the sound system on the ASUS U30Jc is subpar. At full volume, I could barely hear the audio from the video I was watching in a room with nothing but a ceiling fan and a couple computers running. You can forget trying to watch video in a noisy area, you simply can't hear it. You can hear well with headphones using the onboard headphone jack, but if you want to watch with a group on the notebook, you will need external speakers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- No Man's Sky VR? Hello Games wants to know if you want it
- Sony fixes PSN message glitch
- Nintendo reveal Diablo III: Eternal Collection Switch bundle
- Black Ops 4 physical sales down 50% compared WWII
- Mega Man 11 only had around 40 developers in the team
- ASRock A320M-DGS + Ryzen 5 2600 budget upgrade with older video card?
- Default Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Review: The Perfect Card For 1440p
- Computer will not turn on.
- Netgear Wireless WG111 Issue
- Zombidle: Fun With Surgery Is An Update With A Lot of Guts
- Theia Wallet Announced the 1.0 Version Beta Test, Supports BTC
- Orion Health launches Amadeus CORE to help healthcare sector leverage data analytics and machine learning
- Epson Booth to Feature Partners with latest POS Solutions at Money20/20
- Raybaby announces launch on Amazon