The Foxconn H55MX-S is not a pretty board. I am not saying it is ugly or anything like that, but it is certainly not as stylish as the A9DA-S.
The H55MX-S is based on a Micro-ATX design. This design is a very popular one for entry level and HTPC systems. It keeps things clean and only gives you the basics for what you need. With the H55 Express chipset onboard, you do not even get RAID.
Looking at the upper portion of the board, we see the standard connections. Well, sort of. The H55MX-S has only two slots for RAM and also is equipped with the one thing that most people (entry level or not) will not be using. This is a floppy connector. Out of all the things that could have been put here, I am not sure why a floppy was the choice. I can understand not wanting to spend money on a PATA controller, but I would have thought USB headers or something of that nature would have been a better choice here.
Around the CPU we do see that Foxconn went the extra step and used solid capacitors; unfortunately they did not extend this to the chokes. From the looks of the chokes and the voltage regulators, this is probably not the most power efficient motherboard. I guess it is a good thing that it is not intended for high-performance usage.
Taking a quick look at the lower half of the board, we see the entry level/HTPC trend continuing in the slots available. There is a single x16 and a x4 PCIe slot combined with two PCI 2.0 slots. We also see that Foxconn did not use solid capacitors for everything on the board. We see some traditional ones lurking in a cluster on the lower left hand corner.
You also get six SATA 2.0 ports on the board. However, the first two can be rendered useless by a long GPU. Of course, this is not likely to happen on this entry level board, but it is still important to note.
The ports are what you should be getting with a H55 based board. They are anticipating the use of a Clarkdale CPU+GPU processor.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Resident Evil 2 supports ultrawide monitors
- Top 10 premium games of 2018 in revenue
- Path of Exile 2019 roadmap detailed
- Administrators and moderators
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media