The Super Overclock version of the HD 5870 has been a long time coming; we heard about the model a while ago and it was just a matter of playing the waiting game while GIGABYTE put the final touches on the model to make sure it stands out from the pack.
Looking at the performance today, it's become clear that the wait was worth it with it being the fastest HD 5870 we've tested to date and compared to the GTX 480 it does a fantastic job of competing.
A big deal in regards to the Super Overclock series is the OC potential of the model and while we haven't looked at that today, we'll be looking at it soon enough. With some new overclocking software and a new model, we're hoping that the SOC version of the HD 5870 form GIGABYTE will be able to really shine and be a clear stand out model for people wanting to get even more grunt out of it.
If you're a fan of ATI, don't want to spend the money that's involved in going down the HD 5970 route, then this is a fantastic model for you. If you're gaming at the high 2560 x 1600 resolution as well, you can know with confidence that you're going to be out performing the GTX 480 in many situations.
What will be interesting now is what GIGABYTE will do with the SOC series and the new GTX 400 series of cards. We wouldn't recommend waiting for the simple fact that nothing has really been announced and the models would carry probably a $80 - $100 US price gain, but just from an excitement perspective it's going to be cool to find out what kind of clocks companies will offer with the new models.
At $499.99 over at Newegg right now it's one of the most expensive HD 5870s on the market. At the same time, it's one of the fastest HD 5870s on the market. Throw in the fact that the cooler offers similar noise levels to the stock one but significantly better temperatures and you're onto a winner of a model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Trilogy coming to Nintendo Switch
- Coffee Lake CPUs multiply, Core i5-8500 and Core i5-8600
- Tesla's electric Semi truck is FAST, tires start smoking
- AU Optronics: 65/85-inch 8K TVs will arrive later this year
- Crytek's new Hunt: Showdown hits Steam Early Access
- Amped Wireless Titan AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Reeven NAIA 240 CPU Cooler Review
- For Sale 5 Pieces Apple iPhone 8 64GB Brand New Unlocked $2,795
- Ryzen (1000-Series) Overclocking Guide
- For Sale (40 Pieces) Apple iPhone X 64GB $17,960 Brand New Unlocked
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit