Now, I am sure that many of you will read this and feel that it is a slam on the iPad. After all, I have covered many of the shortcomings of the product. But still, the iPad is not all bad. There are many items that are very good and many more that show great promise with some time and real effort on the part of Apple.
The idea behind the iPad is a good one; it is solid one. However, the controlling and proprietary nature of Apple takes what could be an outstanding product and stifles it into a mediocre one. I simply cannot wait to play with this thing once there is a jail break available for it. Once the software limitations imposed by Apple are removed, this thing will be stellar. We also hear that Apple is working on the next version of the iPhone OS. In Version 4.0 we will see a very simplistic form of multitasking, as well as a better online gaming interface (stolen from MS, Sony and Steam).
The other issue with the iPad is the storage size. If this is truly a computer that is capable of productivity work then it should have quite a bit more room to store items on it. Of course, this would take control from Apple and is not in keeping with their cloud services MobileMe. So the limitations and issues with the iPad that we talk about above are all about revenue stream and continuing to get money from your pocket. Of course, I am not opposed to a company making money, but I am when they do it in the manner Apple does.
To wrap up my rant here, the iPad is not there yet. It is overpriced and limited by the OS and Apple's xenophobic ways. We do think that a good jail break will open it up a lot more and could make one of these worthwhile (with the proper development support and apps). We hope to let you know if the 3G model with 32GB of space is better value sometime in the near future, but we are not sure if we are willing to invest that kind of money again so soon, especially considering that it will be at least $230 more than what we have already spent on the 16GB WiFi one (32GB 3G iPad is $729.00).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The iPad]
- Page 4 [The OS and UI]
- Page 5 [The Stock Apps - Revisited]
- Page 6 [The Stock Apps - Revisited (Cont.)]
- Page 7 [How does it work in practice]
- Page 8 [The Hidden Cost]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6 creative director leaves, should we be concerned?
- New Obi-Wan Star Wars show coming on Disney+, Ewan McGregor to star
- Epic Games Store is changing for the better
- Destiny 2's crunch will help streamline Destiny 3
- RNGesus blesses Destiny 2 with new expansive Armor 2.0 update
- GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Xtreme (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (AMD X570) Motherboard Review
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER Vulcan X OC-V Review
- BIOS 5.40 Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4
- Problems during Start Up
- Animoca secures deal with Versus Systems to drive in-game revenue and player engagement
- Viotek Launches LinQ Portable Touchscreen Monitors
- SK hynix Unveils 'Gold S31' Consumer Solid-State Drive on Amazon
- Final Assault coming to PSVR in Q4 2019
- Veteran Video Games Industry Leader Kate Edwards Joins Global Game Jam as Executive Director