We are now able to find out what kind of power is being used by our test system and the associated graphics cards installed. Keep in mind; it tests the complete system (minus LCD monitor, which is plugged directly into an AC wall socket).
Idle power consumption was not too bad for an X58 with a six core CPU and an AMD HD 5870.
Load power consumption is a little bit on the high end. It makes us realize that you can get great power savings from newer boards when they are not in use, but once you start making them work they are still going to push up your power bill.
As a new measure, we are now monitoring the heat generation from the key components on the motherboard; this being the Northbridge, Southbridge (if it contains one) as well as the Mosfets around the CPU. The results are recorded at idle and load during the power consumption tests.
At idle even the overclocked boards were not pushing the limits. GIGABYTE's cooling system does pretty well even outside a case where there is not much direct airflow over the extended heatsink.
Under load the X58A-UD7 gets a little hotter. This is more than likely due to the testing environment. In a case with adequate airflow you should have lower temperatures than what we are seeing here.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem microtransactions detailed
- Mortal Kombat 11 to feature cross-play after initial launch
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Piranha Plant debuts 'February'
- Mortal Kombat 11 on Switch has 'geometry reductions' & more
- New Layers of Fear 2 trailer cruises the midnight seas
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- Two Hat Is Changing the Landscape of Content Moderation With New Image Recognition Technology
- Top Executives Launch Blockchain-Powered Video Game Publishing Company
- Announcing Destiny Chaser's Global Launch!
- Dean Trotman Joins Sumo Digital as Commercial Director
- SmuggleCraft launches on Nintendo Switch 1/25