We are now able to find out what kind of power is being used by our test system and the associated graphics cards installed. Keep in mind; it tests the complete system (minus LCD monitor, which is plugged directly into an AC wall socket).
Idle power consumption was not too bad for an X58 with a six core CPU and an AMD HD 5870.
Load power consumption is a little bit on the high end. It makes us realize that you can get great power savings from newer boards when they are not in use, but once you start making them work they are still going to push up your power bill.
As a new measure, we are now monitoring the heat generation from the key components on the motherboard; this being the Northbridge, Southbridge (if it contains one) as well as the Mosfets around the CPU. The results are recorded at idle and load during the power consumption tests.
At idle even the overclocked boards were not pushing the limits. GIGABYTE's cooling system does pretty well even outside a case where there is not much direct airflow over the extended heatsink.
Under load the X58A-UD7 gets a little hotter. This is more than likely due to the testing environment. In a case with adequate airflow you should have lower temperatures than what we are seeing here.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series