On March 10th Intel lifted the lid on the Core i7 980X. This is a 32nm, six-core, twelve-thread CPU that handily eats up the competition in threaded (and some non-threaded) applications. This CPU is almost drop-in compatible with existing X58 based motherboards (all you need is a BIOS flash). But is the current crop of X58 boards optimized for this new CPU?
We decided to take a look at GIGABYTE's high-end offering, the X58A-UD7. This board features advanced cooling for the chipset and power regulation areas. It also has built in support for SATA 3.0, including RAID support as well as USB 3.0 and Tri-SLI.
At a whisper under $350 on NewEgg.com, this is not an inexpensive product; but then again, when you are planning to potentially drop $1000 on a CPU, you are going to want to have the best board you can get a hold of.
So let's dive in and see how well the GIGABYTE X58A-UD7 performs with the new Gulftown at stock speeds and what you can reasonably expect out of it when you do a little overclocking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dead Space 2 dev recounts harsh reality of game budgets
- Analysts forecast Capcom will miss net sales target
- Capcom ships 4 million copies of Resident Evil 7
- Petroglyph Games announce new RTS- Forged Battalion
- Seagate announce its new Enterprise Datasphere Fleet
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- ASUS Battery Health Charging - windows 10 
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz