Let's quickly talk about the Sapphire version of the HD 5830. From a performance point of view we know exactly how it's going to perform even though we didn't test it in single card form. Since the model carries with it the same default clocks it's going to perform the same as the reference card and in that regard the HD 5830 performs well for the price.
Looking more into the Sapphire version of the card itself, we can discuss the cooling which is clearly different from the reference version and does a good job. Not only does the card run cooler, but it's also quieter which is exactly what you want from a card with an upgraded cooler.
In all those regards the Sapphire version of the card is a good improvement over the standard model. On the Crossfire side of things the clear elephant in the room is the issues we had with some of our benchmarks and the freezing. With both cards performing perfectly individually, it seemed clear that the problem was driver related.
Having said that, it ran well most the time and more importantly the setup puts out some fantastic numbers when compared to the HD 5870. Looking at the price, the HD 5830 from Sapphire comes in at $239.99 without Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 or $269.99 with it over at Newegg right now. Both cards carry the same cooler and specifications so really, there's no difference when it comes to performance; it's simply up to you if you want the game or not for the extra $25 which is half the price of the retail version of the coupon at Newegg.
Two HD 5830s are going to set you back $479.98. Compared to the HD 5870 this setup is slightly more expensive as the HD 5870 retails for around $399.99 to $439.99. So, the question we need to answer is; whether or not it's worth spending an extra $40 - $55 buying a HD 5830 CF setup over a single HD 5870? - In a word, yes. For slightly more money you're getting slightly more performance at the highest resolution. At around 1920 x 1200 the CF setup puts out some very good numbers compared to the HD 5870. If you have a compatible motherboard, good quality power supply and want to have some fun with Crossfire then we would recommend the setup. Hopefully with some overclocking we would be able to get even more performance out of the model.
An overclocked CF setup is something that we would test when we know our standard CF setup is running as it should be. It seems at the moment we do have a few little issues with the setup which would probably really prevent it being the best option. No doubt we'll have a closer look at the setup when we've got two retail versions in hand.
The HD 5830 Sapphire is a great version of the HD 5830 thanks to the new cooler and the option to get a copy of COD MW2 with the card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [Video Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark (DX10 & DX11)]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard hiring 17 devs for new Diablo game
- Overkill's The Walking Dead delayed on PS4, Xbox One
- Ronda Rousey will voice Sonya Blade in Mortal Kombat XI
- Lord of the Rings 'Tolkien' biopic movie gets release date
- New Anthem gameplay details: story, progress & customizing
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Western Digital Black SN750 SSD Review
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media