I like the new AMD 890GX chipset. AMD has taken a couple of bold steps in the right direction with it. We see them dropping full SATA 3.0 on the board and also integrating full PCIe 2.0 even in the Southbridge.
The ASUS offering here has some great features with Core Unlocking with the flip of a switch, Auto Tuning and CPU LevelUP. These allow you to get even greater value out of your AMD CPUs. You can pick up a dual or tri core and in a few seconds you can have a quad core CPU and then overclock it quickly to some decent speeds (if you are not using a C2 stepping). The performance in a few areas still needs some fixing, but as AMD improves their CPUs, that should catch up as well.
Overall, if you are an AMD owner and are looking to move forward with AMD this is the board for you. I have to say that AMD is now moving their chipsets up to match their GPU performance. I guess the next stop is the CPU. If they can do that then we will have an excellent combination in their three products. And for around $160 this is particularly good value considering the higher $200 price tag on Intel H57 boards.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What's new with the 890GX]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 9 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 11 [Real-World Tests - Part II]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Over 322,000 cheaters have been caught in Battlegrounds
- BIOSTAR reveal their flagship RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- Logitech release the ASTRO A20 Wireless Headset
- SK politician talks PUBG success, holds golden pan
- Samsung's new 360-degree camera requires 2 x GTX 1080 Ti
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz