As you can see in the benchmarks, the race for equal speed between USB 3.0 and SATA 3G is still underway when it comes to USB 3.0 add-in boards. When we tested the Buffalo Technology DriveStation USB 3.0 on the GIGABYTE P55A-UD4P we didn't run into a ceiling while testing. Over the next few months we will see several new USB 3.0 controllers, enclosures and motherboards and get all of our data graphed so you can make an informed decision on what to purchase when the time is right.
The Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card is a neat little product that has potential, but not at its current going rate at Newegg. If you have a motherboard that is filled with several add-in cards and need something to fit in a small space, the card is the perfect solution and the price may be justified out of necessity. For everyone else who can use a larger card, you can find other products that cost half as much as the Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card and some that offer more features, but with only a 10 USD price difference. We would really like to see the Vantec Host Card at a 15 to 20 USD price point and given the small amount of components needed to make the card, it may just be possible.
The Vantec NexStar 3 is a very nice USB 3.0 enclosure that is small enough for travel and will satisfy the performance needs of most users when paired with the right adapter card or motherboard. We are going to hold onto the NexStar 3 one more day and get some tests on the new Storage Product Workstation motherboard that will be here in a few hours, the GIGABYTE X58A-UD7. As we get closer to the release of the retail product, we will know more about pricing and be able to make a final judgment as to its overall value.
Since we do not officially score prototype hardware, the following scoring is just for the Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Vantec 2-Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PCIe Host Card]
- Page 5 [The Vantec NexStar 3 USB 3.0 3.5" Enclosure]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Tune Pro]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Everest Random Access Time]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - AS SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG's new G7 ThinQ brings the stupid notch from iPhone X
- H1Z1 is locked at 60FPS on the PS4 Pro
- Ohio university gives scholarships to best Fortnite players
- EKWB launch EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW 3 waterblock, now with RGB
- Battlefield 1's monthly updates end in June
- EVGA DG-77 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- B360M-ITX/ac does not see USB drive at all
- WD My Passport Wireless SSD 500GB Review
- Legacy Mode
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit