I think that Intel is on to something with Clarkdale and the move to a CPU + a GPU. Sure, they took the idea from AMD who talked about this long ago, but AMD failed to execute on the concept. Personally I think that prior to hitting the process size and architecture that we see from Intel, putting a GPU either in the CPU die or on the packaging would not have been possible. There were too many things that needed to be done before it could work.
I am a little disappointed with the performance of the IGP. I would have liked to have seen a little more power for gaming than I did. Still, I cannot deny that the CPU portion is amazing. When I first ran through the tests I was disappointed in the results; then I reminded myself that I was testing a dual core CPU with two extra virtual cores against native quad cores and quad cores with Hyper Threading. Then the results came into focus.
The Core i5 661 is a great CPU, especially at the $200 price point. It performs very well for what it is and has great overclocking potential thanks to the 32nm process, lower power demands and some other nice improvements from Intel. I think that this CPU/GPU combo does have a place in the market and when paired with the right motherboard is capable of quite a lot.
So, even with the lack of gaming power, I think that Clarkdale is a great opening shot in the new war of stuffing the GPU into the CPU. I hope that AMD's return shot is just as good and also comes soon.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What's New?]
- Page 3 [Overclocking]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 6 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 7 [Real-World Tests Part I]
- Page 8 [Real-World Tests Part II]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem head compares finished game details to upcoming demo
- Resident Evil 2 Remake 'one-shot demo' hits 2m players
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate goes Hunger Games on Adult Swim
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019