3D Vision Experience - James Cameron's Avatar: The Game Demo
As we come to the end of our game testing, we check out the new Avatar game based on the new James Cameron movie. While the movie looks absolutely sensational, the game hasn't really received the same praise with some poor storytelling and weird controls. With the game falling under the Excellent category, I found myself hoping that I could experience it in a way other people haven't had the chance to.
Once you get into the game you notice some issues with it crashing and the device drivers failing. The good news is that it seems to be a common issue that NVIDIA are working on and there's a really easy work-around that I found when googling "Avatar 3D Vision Not Working".
If you're running into the same problems, here are the easy steps that I followed:
1. Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, Stereoscopic 3D and enable the "Hide stereoscopic 3D effect when game starts" option (if you haven't already). This will allow you to avoid the crash you are getting at the start when you try to run the game with 3D Vision enabled.
2. If you completely disable the 3D Vision from the control panel, you won't see the mode present in the list of S3D options inside the game menu, but the game will also start, avoiding the crash when you have it with Stereoscopic 3D mode enabled. So you need to have it enabled, but hidden when the game starts!
3. Run the game, go to the Options menu, Display and Enable 3D, choosing NVIDIA 3D Vision in the list if 3D formats. This will activate the 3D Vision and you don't have to press the button on the IR emitter to activate it, although it was set to be disabled when the game starts.
4. As an alternative to step 3, you can skip the activation from the in-game menu of the 3D mode and use the button on the IR emitter or CTRL + T. This basically does the same thing as activating the mode from the in-game Options, just be sure that the NVIDIA 3D Vision option is being selected in the Options menu as a 3D format, otherwise you might happen to have two different 3D modes activated at the same time and this might lead to significant performance drops and visual problems.
Anyway, with the game all sorted, it was time to get stuck into the demo level. If the 3D effects of the game are anything to go by, the 3D effects are going to be nothing short of stunning. The game looked absolutely fantastic and you'll probably find yourself picking up the full version after having a bash of the demo with the 3D effects on. Why this game isn't part of the 3D Vision Supported list is beyond me as it even has in game settings under the options for 3D Vision.
Our Rating - Game Changing. The game hasn't received the best reviews around the world, but in the demo when it comes to fighting hammerhead you really feel so much a part of the game that it's amazing. While you probably don't want to get the game at the MSRP, when it hits the bargain basement it's going to be something worth picking up. After playing the demo first with 3D Vision off, you go from what is another run of the mill 3rd person shooter to something that has jaw dropping 3D effects and gives you a real sense of being a part of the game.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The 3D Vision Kit]
- Page 3 [The 3D Vision Kit - Continued]
- Page 4 [The ViewSonic FuHzion VX2268wm]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Install Ease]
- Page 6 [3D Vision Experience - Sims 3]
- Page 7 [3D Vision Experience - World of Warcraft]
- Page 8 [3D Vision Experience - Red Alert 3]
- Page 9 [3D Vision Experience - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [3D Vision Experience - Mirrors Edge]
- Page 11 [3D Vision Experience - Darkest of Days]
- Page 12 [3D Vision Experience - Batman: Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [3D Vision Experience - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 14 [3D Vision Experience - Sid Meier's Civilization IV]
- Page 15 [3D Vision Experience - Dirt II Demo]
- Page 16 [3D Vision Experience - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Demo]
- Page 17 [3D Vision Experience - James Cameron's Avatar: The Game Demo]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks: The Performance Hit]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]