Being a sucker for unique shapes and appealing looks, the Balder struck a chord right off the bat with me. Looking past the sexiness of the cooler is the intention. The testing showed the Balder is what we should expect from the 1283 coolers, just this time a little differently. The new fin design for Xigmatek is an attractive start. Adding the black fan with white LED's is a plus, but plating the entire cooler in "Bright-Nickel" takes it over the top for me, then to see it is dual fan compatible just takes it over the edge of what I want to see in a Xigmatek cooler; they hit the nail on the head with the Balder.
A couple of issues I need to sort through. The ding in the heat pipe is unacceptable. Looking at the packaging, the damage had to be done before the box was sealed. I understand people have bad days at work, but that should have been easily spotted and pulled from the line. The second complaint isn't even for me, as I am an avid Intel user. I would like to see an additional set of grooves in the base for AMD users. With this small setback overcome, I think there would be no reason not to suggest the Balder to any user with accommodating chassis conditions.
In my opinion, the little bit of a premium price is worth it to me. Not only do I get my flashiness that I love, but I get performance levels that I have come to expect from Xigmatek. The $46.99 is only the MSRP, which means once it hits shelves it can be had possibly even cheaper. I for one am glad Xigmatek has changed the square fins, moving to the "x" configuration. This makes the Balder not only a rebirth for Xigmatek's 1283 lineup, but a nice choice for cooling in any rig.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Xigmatek Balder SD1283 H.D.T. CPU Cooler]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Activision CEO to leave company
- AI could one day fuel in-game microtransactions
- Playground Games making new Fable, sources say
- Nintendo Labo brings cardboard cut-outs to the gaming world
- Metal Gear Survive will feature microtransactions
- noblechairs ICON Series Real Leather Gaming Chair Review
- GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
- Realtek sound not working all of a sudden
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series