We have played with several external drives and their connectivity systems over the years. Most of them do provide adequate performance; however, in the recent past as external drives have gotten smaller and moved toward USB-only power, we have seen the number of ports they take up and the impact on system performance go up. This was even true of the FreeAgent Go series until Seagate removed the need for the extra USB connection for power.
Now with the new Dock+ you are getting more USB 2.0 ports thrown into the mix. It is unfortunate that you cannot use the Dock+ without the external power (with just a single FreeAgent Go drive), but it still provides a nice "home" station for your FreeAgent Go or even the BlackArmor PS-110.
Over all, for the $29.99 price tag at Newegg it is a nice product that does exactly what Seagate says it does. We found ourselves leaving all of our USB devices plugged into the Dock+ (Mouse, iPhone Cable, Zune HD Cable) when we took our laptop on the road. This made un-hooking and hooking back up much easier and did not affect performance in any way. Even our CM Storm Sentinel Advance was unaffected, which was a good thing as it does not normally like USB hubs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital-only Xbox One has 1TB HDD, includes three games
- Epic won't let 'crappy games' on its store
- Steam's library UI is getting a makeover
- Google Stadia's save sharing feature is revolutionary
- Games titan Tencent earns $45 billion in 2018
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- Getting SSD to boot
- LoanCare, a ServiceLink Company, Announces New Chief Information Officer
- Giada Adds AMD Ryzen-Powered DM6 To High-Performance Signage Player Series
- Slay Time - Hack and Slash MMORPG Guardians of Ember Enters Open Beta
- Nokia Commits US$750K to Support the Work of the Internet Engineering Task Force
- The global installed base of airport asset tracking systems will reach 0.4 million units in 2023