The Thecus N5500
I have to admit, this is the ugliest NAS I have tested to date. The good thing is that a NAS doesn't get or in this case lose points for style. At the bottom of the N5500 Thecus has placed a 2x20 display that shows the servers status. The buttons below give the user an interface to setup the NAS without a PC.
Once you open the door the N5500 becomes the kind of NAS we like to see. I can see a need to be able to lock the front door and have the power button on the inside. There is also a USB port mounted on the front of the NAS for easy access to a free port. Also note that each drive bay has its own lock.
On the side of the NAS you will find vents that keep the unit cool.
On the back we found connections galore; five USB, an eSATA, comm and dual Ethernet. The entire NAS is cooled by a large fan that runs at different speeds depending on the cooling needs. Never during our testing did the NAS get hot or loud.
The other side of the NAS has more ventilation.
Thecus has always delivered a nice accessory package with their servers. Here we see the N5500's pack.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Thecus N5500]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - HD Playback]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - HD Record]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Copy]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft wants you to 'feel true power' with Xbox One X
- Fiber optic cables double as early earthquake detectors
- Surface Pro LTE delayed until at least Spring 2018
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Gigabyte AB-350 G3 CPU LED & No POST after update ->rollback?
- AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard