Having a look at the card now, you have to think at first sight that we've just re-used the photo of the HD 5870. Head on the cards look almost identical with the major difference being that this one has HD 5850 on it instead of HD 5870.
The only physical difference from head on which can't be noticed here is that the HD 5850 comes in 9.5" (24cm) which is the same as the HD 4890. It is 1" shorter than the HD 5890 which comes in at 10.5" (27cm). We can of course see that Sapphire has mixed it up in their own way with a sticker.
Looking at the back of the card where we have our two little holes we can see like the HD 5890 this card carries with it two 6-Pin PCI-E connectors. These are instead sitting at the back of the card rather than on top, though.
Speaking of on top, we can see our two CrossFire connectors sitting closer to the front. Here we have the chance to run up to three cards in a CrossFire X formation. While we won't be making use of the connectors today, we will be in the near future.
Moving to the I/O side of things, the setup is exactly the same as the HD 5870. We've got a little vent sitting on the top right with a single Dual-Link DVI connector. Below that we have another one while to the left we have a native HDMI port and DisplayPort. This setup of course gives us the ability to run up to three monitors via two DVI + DP or one DVI and one HDMI + DP.
Let's take a look at how the HD 5850 compares to the HD 4890 and HD 5870. Like the HD 5870 the HD 5850 carries 32 ROPs, up from 16 on the HD 4890, a 256-bit memory bus and 1GB of GDDR5 like the HD 4890. Like the HD 5870 the card utilizes a 40nm manufacturing process, unlike the HD 4890 which uses 55nm.
As far as clocks go, the core comes in at 725MHz which is down from the 850MHz clock the HD 5890 and HD 4890 carries. The memory clock is up compared to the HD 4890 which carries a 975MHz or 3900MHz QDR clock. The HD 5850 comes in at 1GHz or 4000MHz QDR. It is slightly down from the HD 5890 which comes in at 1200MHz or 4800MHz QDR. Like the HD 5890, the card carries with it the ability to run Direct X 11 in supported games.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [Video Card]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Crysis Warhead]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Left 4 Dead]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 13 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 14 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel's new XMM 7660 LTE modem: 1.6Gbps speeds on your phone
- Skyrim on Switch runs at native 900p resolution while docked
- THQ Nordic grabs Biomutant game rights and developer
- EA: Live services are a predictable, evolving business
- Vivendi postpones Ubisoft takeover
- Secretlab OMEGA 2018 gaming chair: the new king is here
- NVIDIA TITAN Xp Star Wars Collector's Edition Unboxed
- Supermicro SuperO C7Z370-CG-L Motherboard Review
- GAMDIAS Hermes E1 Gaming Combo Review
- need advice for replacing 4 washable air filter for my pc-b25s
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ