For MPEG-2 playback tests, we ran The Matrix DVD, a personal favourite of mine on each system with Hardware Acceleration enabled to check for smoothness of playback as well as CPU usage during the test. The result was with 30 minutes of playback and the CPU utilization is the average.
Having a dual core Atom didn't really reduce much CPU time when running the movie. However, the thing we noticed was when we swapped out tasks such as running a flash program on Facebook in the background, we didn't stall out like the Atom 230 did. CPU usage went up to around 46% where the Atom 230 hit 95% and would sometimes stall out. The Nano was about the same as the Atom 330 in these tests when it came to multi-tasking.
Playback for MPEG-4 was again done with the Matrix, only encoded down to MPEG-4 DIVX 6.8 codec. 30 minutes was the time run. Smoothness of playback, audio sync and CPU usage are the keys here once again.
Now into MPEG-4 playback and this is where the Atom 330 manages to really shine. Compared to the 230 CPU, usage was much lower, but still not able to keep up with Nano. However, playback was smooth and while multi tasking we managed to keep the playback smooth and running where Atom 230 stalled out quite a bit.
Using the Matrix again encoded in 720p we did our playback tests again, a 30 minute run was done with Smoothness of video, audio/video sync and CPU usage the big things as well as multi-tasking.
Atom 230 failed this test terribly with Atom 330 not far behind. CPU usage was way too high. Atom 230 could not play back the movie at all; it would simply jump all over the place. Atom 330 managed to run a bit smoother, but not really at all watchable. Only VIA Nano was able to play back the movie successfully. However, multi-taking was out of the question.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Overwatch now has over 35 million players
- Battlegrounds' update adds vaulting, climbing to testers
- DOOM will be out on Nintendo Switch on November 10
- AMD Ryzen APU spotted with Radeon Vega M graphics
- Apple CEO: quality AR impossible with today's technology
- COLORFUL iGame GeForce GTX 1080 Vulcan X OC Review
- South Park: The Fractured But Hole Review
- NVIDIA locks overclocking in GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO: Unboxed
- Fans keep spinning after shutdown (X299 UD4)
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz
- Seagate To Participate In Consortium Led By Bain Capital Private Equity To Acquire Toshiba Memory Corporation
- ASUS Announces Z370 Series Motherboards
- New Forces Join Popular Team Group Gaming T-FORCE Series
- ECS Elitegroup Announces Z370-Lightsaber Motherboard