The WebSmart UI - Part II
Storm Control is a method for preventing a single port from saturating the switch with too much data. You can set this by three parameters; Broadcast, Multicast and Flooded Uncast. Each is set to a certain number of frames per second. If a particular port exceeds this rate it is disabled to prevent impacting the rest of the network.
LACP stands for Link Aggregation Control Protocol. This is pretty much equal to 802.3ad. This type of link aggregation is a higher level than standard port trunking and allows for a more seamless combination of ports for aggregated bandwidth and throughput. In the TPE-80WS you can manually setup your link Key Values or allow the system to assign them automatically.
RSTP (Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol) is a newer version of the Spanning Tree Protocol that allows for a faster method of reorganizing the topology map of your network in the event of changes. In setting up RSTP it is important to know which ports are "Edge" and which are not. An Edge port is one that does not connect to another link in the network, but to an end device. This means that any port that connects to another switch or router in the chain is not an edge port and should not be setup that way. You also need to make sure that your root switch has the lowest priority number in the network so that there are no issues with reconfiguration when RSTP becomes active due to changes.
RSTP is an excellent feature when you have multiple switches in a high availability and high bandwidth network.
IGMP stands for Internet Group Management Protocol. This protocol allows for groups of multicast devices to be identified and controlled by a switch or router for the most efficient network traffic flow. The most common types of IGMP traffic is from streaming video and game servers. IGMP multicasts are also used by Windows Vista and 7 Media Center to identify available media sources. With the TPE-80WS you can enable IGMP support and even limit the ports that can accept this traffic. As you can see, we have limited IGMP frames to ports 5-8. In this configuration those are the only ports that IGMP traffic will be forwarded to.
802.1X is a security feature that works with a RADIUS (Remote Authentication Dial In User Service) server. This is a means of protecting your network from unauthorized systems. Any system connected to the LAN would be required to authenticate its self. If this fails then the system will not be allowed access to the LAN. RADIUS server can be setup to run on a certificate and password or certificate based access allowing for not only hardware (system authentication), but user authentication as well. It is a very powerful security system for protecting network access.
The PoE page is very interesting; it not only allows you to disable PoE on a per port basis but also gives you a great deal of information at a glance. As you can see in the screen shot, ports 1, 2, 7 and 8 are PoE Disabled, while port 4 is pulling 5.9 Watts from the system and is a class 0 PoE device. Just below this you can see the overall system power status and the power class table.
As I mentioned above, the TPE-80WS splits the configuration pages and the status pages into two distinct sections. Below are screen shots of them as they are listed in the menu. Each page is self explanatory.
Overall Switch activity
You can even view detailed information about each port
Link Aggregation details
RSTP details and data
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- vandafil advanced blend
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced