The WebSmart UI
The WebSmart UI embedded in the TPE-80WS is very well laid out. All of the settings are grouped into easy to identify categories, as are the monitoring pages. Administrative functions like Firmware updates etc. have also been given their own little spot.
As you can see, the "home" or system page has some basic information about your TPE-80WS. Here is where you can change the IP address (including HTTP access Port), Subnet, Default Gateway and login information. You can also setup SNMP if you have an SNMP trap setup on your network.
On the ports page you can quickly view and configure the speed the port operates at as well as the Maximum Frame size allowed. This Per-Port adjustment is nice as it allows you to adjust each port to its best setting.
For V-LAN options you can chose from Port Based or Tag Based. With Port Based you simply choose the ports you want to be in the new VLAN group. Once you do that they are segregated and cannot communicate with each other. However, Port Based V-LANs are only segregated on the same device. These types of VLANs do not bridge multiple devices.
With Tag Based VLANs you can span these across multiple devices as long as you have the same Tag number setup on each device. You have greater flexibility with Tag Based VLANs as you can filter traffic based on the Tag as well as the VID to ensure that your frames are only VLAN traffic and not flood. You can also have the switch strip the VLAN tag from received frames and insert the Tag to transmitted frames. In general Tagged VLANs are more flexible and secure than Port Based VLANs, while Port Based are easier to setup.
Another nice feature of the TPE-80WS is the ability to combine ports into single aggregated trunks. This allows you to designate a larger amount of bandwidth for specific devices. Port Mirroring is self explanatory; it allows you to mirror the data from one port onto another. This is helpful for diagnostic testing. It can allow you to capture all frames and packets sent without interrupting traffic flow.
QoS, or Quality of Service is a way to make sure that high-priority traffic can take precedence over other non essential traffic. There are three modes of operation on the TPE-80WS. One is Port Based, 802.1p and DSCP (Differentiated Service Code Point).
Per Port is the simplest to setup and allows you to adjust the priority of the traffic to each port.
802.1p is a more advanced type of QoS and allows for mapping of priority types to classes of service. 802.1p gets the information from the IP header when 802.1Q is used in the network.
DSCP allows you to set service codes to types of traffic. These codes are part of the IP header and require a much more extensive knowledge of the way IP headers are laid out. DSCP allows for the most flexibility in QoS as it is not port or protocol dependent, but traffic dependent.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege free-to-play trail beginning August 16th
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution